Dad behavior

PeaFan

Songster
Mar 12, 2020
Hello - I have one cock and one hen. The hen is currently sitting on her eggs. My question is more of a “what is your experience” request.
The male has been super attentive to the hen since she started sitting. He has been laying right next to the nest with her all day. He comes out to eat, drink, walk around a bit and then goes right back. Wondering if this is a good sign - will he be a helpful dad? OR is this a bad sign?
I know we tend to assign human characteristics to them, so to us it may seem like he is being caring and a good mate……but what could it actually mean? Is he waiting for the chicks to hatch to massacre them, while I am lulled into a state of cuteness……lol.
Just curious,
Thanks.

I don't have any experience with peafowl daddies, but some of my Muscovy drakes are super attentive, and when the ducklings hatch, they are fine with them. @KsKingBee, what do you think?

Hello - I have one cock and one hen. The hen is currently sitting on her eggs. My question is more of a “what is your experience” request.
The male has been super attentive to the hen since she started sitting. He has been laying right next to the nest with her all day. He comes out to eat, drink, walk around a bit and then goes right back. Wondering if this is a good sign - will he be a helpful dad? OR is this a bad sign?
I know we tend to assign human characteristics to them, so to us it may seem like he is being caring and a good mate……but what could it actually mean? Is he waiting for the chicks to hatch to massacre them, while I am lulled into a state of cuteness……lol.
Just curious,
Thanks.
It is rare that a cock would hurt a peachick.

Back
Top Bottom