Daily Duck Egg Report for 2015

I'm not 100% sure that they're mallards. That's what we were told that they were. Could they be something else? I'm pretty sure they're feed store ducks from last spring. They could be anything.
In your pic the one on the left does like like a Mallard but the one on the right looks similar to WH, But I really have a hard time with some breeds,Here's a pic of a female Mallard. Which I'm sure you have seen before. Lovely ducks.

mallard_2.JPG

Last edited:
In your pic the one on the left does like like a Mallard but the one on the right looks similar to WH, But I really have a hard time with some breeds,Here's a pic of a female Mallard. Which I'm sure you have seen before. Lovely ducks.

mallard_2.JPG

I've definitely noticed the color difference between the two. The picture you posted looks a LOT more like Poke (the darker of the two). Peek is much lighter, and doesn't have any of the darker markings on her tail feathers.

I think WH are what I call Welsh Harlequins. It's what I have she looks the like it.

Last edited:
@Kaessa @Miss Lydia How old are they? Peek looks much smaller than Poke. If they are both of egg bearing age, I would expect a Welsh Harlequin to be MUCH larger than a Mallard. According to Metzer's breed list, a Mallard reaches 2.25-2.50 pounds. A Welsh Harlequin reaches 4.5-5.5 pounds. My WH is the same approximate size as my (Cayuga/Rouens/Swedish) when I go to the fairgrounds, the Mallards look tiny by comparison. I would guess that either Peek is just pigment deficient (and beautiful with that) or she is a cross breed (WH and call?) or that Poke is a larger Rouen - I don't have a sense of scale really, other than compared to each other.
Edit: I also noticed Peek seems to have a black bill more like a mallard/rouen (when laying) at least my WH has a green bill.
She definitely flipped the same gene for feather coloration though. :D

Last edited:
Okay here's a good size comparison... The Welsh harlequin is at the bottom of the picture at the top and right are two Rouen ducks (they look like Mallards but are much larger). And to the left is a Runner duck and they are still a little larger then a Mallard.(sorry I don't have any actual Malards to compare to.)

Last edited:
@Kaessa @Miss Lydia How old are they? Peek looks much smaller than Poke. If they are both of egg bearing age, I would expect a Welsh Harlequin to be MUCH larger than a Mallard. According to Metzer's breed list, a Mallard reaches 2.25-2.50 pounds. A Welsh Harlequin reaches 4.5-5.5 pounds. My WH is the same approximate size as my (Cayuga/Rouens/Swedish) when I go to the fairgrounds, the Mallards look tiny by comparison. I would guess that either Peek is just pigment deficient (and beautiful with that) or she is a cross breed (WH and call?) or that Poke is a larger Rouen - I don't have a sense of scale really, other than compared to each other.

Edit: I also noticed Peek seems to have a black bill more like a mallard/rouen (when laying) at least my WH has a green bill.

She definitely flipped the same gene for feather coloration though.
big_smile.png

They're both just shy of a year old, I think. Our neighbors bought them at the feed store last spring, and we get ducks in the feed stores here in late February/mid March.

I'll get pictures this afternoon with some scale, too.

They're both just shy of a year old, I think. Our neighbors bought them at the feed store last spring, and we get ducks in the feed stores here in late February/mid March.

I'll get pictures this afternoon with some scale, too. 

they are the same age then as mine are (mine were hatched in March) They should be full-size then. They should be under 3 lbs or Over 4 lbs. ;)

Back
Top Bottom