Daily limp that disappears

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
My approx 4 month old Legbar has been sleeping in a nest box. About a week or so ago, I noticed her standing on one foot and not coming out of the coop in the morning. I examined her foot, didn’t see any noticeable bumble or any wound, so I carried her out and set her down. Immediately one of my older girls started pecking her, so I intervened and pecked the older girl with my finger until she stopped. The Legbar continued standing on one foot, then started limping around. I had to leave for work, so I figured I would check her as soon as I got home. When I returned a few hours later, she was walking around fine with everyone.

This has happened for over a week. She sleeps in the nest box, wakes up standing on one foot, I carry her out, she limps for a few minutes, and by late morning is walking fine. Any ideas on what to do or what this could be? She is not high on the pecking order, so I’m wondering if she got knocked off the perch at night during the bedtime scramble. The older girls are molting and cranky and not very nice to the littles. I will continue the daily morning routine, but I’d like to see her leg improve.

It may be a strain or sprain, maybe stiff and sore in the morning and it loosens up as she gets moving. If she's getting around OK, eating, drinking, not getting attacked, then I would just keep an eye on it. Sometimes they can take quite a while to resolve. If it gets worse, or things change, then daily epsom salts soaks can help with pain and swelling. If needed you can put her in a wire crate in the run with the others, to restrict her movement and rest it. That's usually less stressful for them than total separation, and makes reintegration easier.

It may be a strain or sprain, maybe stiff and sore in the morning and it loosens up as she gets moving. If she's getting around OK, eating, drinking, not getting attacked, then I would just keep an eye on it. Sometimes they can take quite a while to resolve. If it gets worse, or things change, then daily epsom salts soaks can help with pain and swelling. If needed you can put her in a wire crate in the run with the others, to restrict her movement and rest it. That's usually less stressful for them than total separation, and makes reintegration easier.
Thank you so much. That makes sense. Any vitamin or supplement that might help her? I do have an extra crate if needed, but I’d prefer to have her with the flock if possible. I can do epsom salt soaks also, but I’ll give it a bit longer to see. Fingers crossed!

She was doing great up until Friday morning..locked up the flock Thur night & she was actually up on the roost! Yesterday though, looks like she reinjured it, stood holding up the one leg the whole time I was out there. Got herself up the ramp and into the nest box (I checked on her at around dusk to make sure she wasn’t stuck outside), and agin carried her out this morning. She’s been eating, hopping around on 1 leg all morning, and actually flew up to the outside roost (still standing on 1 leg). I feel so bad…wish I could do more. If she isn’t putting any pressure on it by tomorrow, should I cage her in the run during the day, and lift her jnto the nest box to “roost” with the flock at night? Always has to be the favorite…she is so sweet…

Do they have to fly up to the roosts, and down? You might want to stack blocks or hay bales to make smaller jumps for her, that could be why she's getting injured. I try to make sure there isn't any jump more than 18 inches for most birds, even less for a really heavy bird. Otherwise ramps or ladders or steps, and some birds don't like ladders. Also make sure the bottom is padded well with some kind of bedding material, to help soften the landing. I have a big hen with advanced salpingitis right now, she has a very long, gradual ramp to get in and out as she can't manage any kind of jump or steep climb at all right now, even the lip on the pop door gives her a hard time. Sometimes allowances and modifications can help a lot.

Do they have to fly up to the roosts, and down? You might want to stack blocks or hay bales to make smaller jumps for her, that could be why she's getting injured. I try to make sure there isn't any jump more than 18 inches for most birds, even less for a really heavy bird. Otherwise ramps or ladders or steps, and some birds don't like ladders. Also make sure the bottom is padded well with some kind of bedding material, to help soften the landing. I have a big hen with advanced salpingitis right now, she has a very long, gradual ramp to get in and out as she can't manage any kind of jump or steep climb at all right now, even the lip on the pop door gives her a hard time. Sometimes allowances and modifications can help a lot.
Thank you so much for your reply. The roost is only about 15 inches off the ground inside, although the roosts in the run range from 1-3 feet high. I do have lots of pine shavings in the coop, but sometimes they dust bathe in them and they could land on a bare spot if they kick them up enough. I’ll add some more this evening to make it harder for them to leave bare areas.

She has been only standing on one leg now for over a week, and I have her crated with food & water in the run. I did let her out for a few minutes while I was there to observe, she only hopped a few feet away and stayed in that spot. If I keep her caged, how long might it take to resolve? I move her to the low nest box to sleep each night, and she flies down the 8 inches or so every morning and waits at the pop door for me to get her out. I’m just wondering what kind of life this is for her? She doesn’t seem to be suffering in any other way, she finishes all her food and any sprinkle of treat I leave out for her.

Is there any swelling, redness anywhere? Have you examined the leg, compared it with the other, any signs of fracture? Sprains and strains can sometimes take quite a while to resolve, without seeing it or being able to examine it, it's very hard to know. Is vet care an option? An xray might be helpful.

Is there any swelling, redness anywhere? Have you examined the leg, compared it with the other, any signs of fracture? Sprains and strains can sometimes take quite a while to resolve, without seeing it or being able to examine it, it's very hard to know. Is vet care an option? An xray might be helpful.
No swelling or redness. No bumble or bump. It’s the strangest thing. I have low roosts for this reason. No vets near me for birds at all. If her leg is fractured or sprained, will it heal on its own eventually? Can she exist hopping on one foot? I feel so bad….she is the sweetest little bird.

Back
Top Bottom