Daily, weekly, monthly and yearly routines for cleaning your coop?

Daily - let them out in the am, check waterer and dump out any thing they kicked into it/refill as needed, feed fodder (just started fodder about 2 weeks ago due to garden dwindling and wanting greens for them since they are in a large enclosed run all day due to predators). Later on in the day around 5p or so, I'll gather eggs, give them any kitchen scrapes/weeds/garden things and their fermented food (I used to feed this in the morning but have switched to night now that the temp is dropping) and tidy up anything that's needed including adding newspaper/chips to their poop containers under the roost. Close them up after dark.

Weekly - usually on Saturdays I tidy up the coop - empty out the poop containers, check/fill their feeders as needed (usually every other week but I assume that will become weekly now that winter is coming), add more bedding if needed etc. I'll also rake the run if needed - usually only need to do this if it's been raining a bunch. We have a slight hill in our run so sometimes it needs to be raked upwards.

Monthly - add more materials to the run if needed. Completely change out the bedding in the coop if needed.

Daily - let them out in the am, check waterer and dump out any thing they kicked into it/refill as needed, feed fodder (just started fodder about 2 weeks ago due to garden dwindling and wanting greens for them since they are in a large enclosed run all day due to predators). Later on in the day around 5p or so, I'll gather eggs, give them any kitchen scrapes/weeds/garden things and their fermented food (I used to feed this in the morning but have switched to night now that the temp is dropping) and tidy up anything that's needed including adding newspaper/chips to their poop containers under the roost. Close them up after dark.

Weekly - usually on Saturdays I tidy up the coop - empty out the poop containers, check/fill their feeders as needed (usually every other week but I assume that will become weekly now that winter is coming), add more bedding if needed etc. I'll also rake the run if needed - usually only need to do this if it's been raining a bunch. We have a slight hill in our run so sometimes it needs to be raked upwards.

Monthly - add more materials to the run if needed. Completely change out the bedding in the coop if needed.
Okay thanks for your input.

I'm in The North Bay Area. I clean the coop and recycle the bedding into the compost bin at least twice a month. Daily check water and feed. I have a couple of water babies that love to stick their feet in the water and with our beastly 100+ temps I haven't discouraged that so their water gets dirty. By cleaning the coop regularly I don't find it necessary to have an annual spring cleaning. One thing I learned from the Hentopia book has made a huge difference for me. The author recommended using coffee chaff for bedding in coop. It is amazing! Weird to work with because it's light and fluffy, but it absorbs the moisture from the poop so it stays cleaner longer and is so easy to scrape out and replace. We have a local coffee roaster and just go to get chaff about once a month. Another thing I've found helpful is buying nesting pads for the boxes. They don't scratch them out or make as big a mess of them as when I used to use shavings. So it's the nesting pad with some coffee chaff on top which makes it easy to deal with stray poops. I have the floor of the run mulched and just kick some mulch over new poop I see. I do have to add new mulch in the spring after our winter rains, but I don't take out the old. As long as your chickens have lots of space and stay clean and healthy you'll figure out a routine that works for you!

Back
Top Bottom