Damn mud.

View attachment 2071244 alright this is what it looks like. And if you have any ideas of fun things to add or how to make the coop look better thatd be cool.
An excellent candidate for true deep litter....planks or small mesh at least 12"up onall sides to keep it from all spilling out

I think you are right. How would you go about it? My preference would be dried leaves and grass trimmings if available this time of the year. Wood chips are generally not that good for a compost pile, which is basically what deep litter is, but if I had them or could get them cheap I'd try them. Hay or straw as a last resort. Wood shavings would not be horrible.

The idea of deep litter is to turn it into a compost pile. You add the browns (carbon) and the chicken's poop is the green (nitrogen).

View attachment 2071244 alright this is what it looks like. And if you have any ideas of fun things to add or how to make the coop look better thatd be cool.
3" of chunky wood chippings would take care of that mud.
Of course you always have to look at drainage, both into the run and out of the run.

Back
Top Bottom