Dangit, a hawk just got my banty rooster...

SuzClaytor

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2015
Bulls Gap, TN
I'm going to miss my little Doodle. He was noisy and a pain in the a** but I loved that guy. Now my girls are cowering in my art studio and I can't get them out. I guess I'll leave them there for awhile until they calm down.
Is it possible to cook the rooster? It couldn't have happened but a short time ago, but he's already stiff. Should I just compost him?

We got the girls into their coop and even got an egg this evening. Such a sad day. He was best friends with our other little banty hen who is the lowest in the pecking order. If I get another rooster, I want it to be a small one. He would attack my ankles during the day, but was more annoying than painful. He was just doing his job though. I couldn't imagine having a large rooster with spurs and spirit. I've been thinking about getting a dog to protect the flock but can't decide.

As a general rule they are not mean. There are exceptions where aggression is induced. Find someone that claims their birds are gentle. Then avoid certain practices such as trying to dominate rooster or being fearful of him. Also do not grab hens around him. These rules I follow with all breeds.

Some these days may be genetically a challenge, avoid those.

See thread below on how I use some of mine.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407880/ambassadors-for-the-farm

They are only good against hawks. You still must deal with other stuff better defended against using some sort of fencing, good cover, protected roost, and possible a dog or other guardian animal.

So we ended up cleaning our little roo' and making him into a quite tasty soup. It was my first time with this, but it wasn't so bad. I think I can do the meat-bird thing now, but not with my 4 girls I've raised. They have been my learning experience and I'm too fond of them. Hopefully they will grow old with me and live a happy life!

Back
Top Bottom