dangit...dangit....dangit. failing bator.

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
My LG is acting up. It had a spike yesterday of 104 for 1-2 hours while I left the house. Then last night it dropped to about 90 and it took me almost 3 hours to get it back to 99.5 Once I had it stable, so I thought, at midnight, I went back to bed. Dh just woke me...it was at 108!!!
he.gif
I made a judgement call and took the lid off for turning & candling. My Indian Runners look very sluggish, but alive. I have 4 turkeys mid hatch and 7 bantams in lockdown as well.

Guess I'll be home all day playing temp monitor.
sad.png
I'm thinking I need to buy a new one and get it prewarmed for a transfer of eggs soon.

Dont give up on those eggs yet. It can take many hours before the inner centre of the egg will reach those higher or lower temps- thats when things will be effected badly. Getting the bator fixed or a new one would be on on the agenda of course if you are having trouble like that- but my fingers are crossed for you and those eggs

1- thats why you dont my an LG/Egg Murderer and grab a Hova (great) or Brinsea 20 eco (even better
smile.png
)
2- the later in the hatch, the harder it is to screw up lol. Also, here is Temp-Screwup-Dont-Lose-Hope-On-Your-Eggs Rule #1: Cooler is better than warmer. if the temp drops (power outage, heating element failure, just plain gets cold) the worst that can happen is your eggs will be delayed by however long the temp was lingering like that. Too much heat has more of a "kill" risk.
anyways, just keep humidity up for bantams and play temp monitor
tongue.png
they might live but honestly 104 for 2 hours!!!! that could have killed your turkey eggs, bantams might have made it. and then 108.. if it was a few minutes they wil be ok, maybe the turkey eggs would be finished. If it was longer, you might not even get many bantams.
Wish you luck!
smile.png

3 of the 4 turkeys are moving and have PIP'd internally (one externally), the 4th is either dead or asleep. The bantams are all moving. The ducks, much earlier on, are moving but kinda slugish. My EE's are all around day 6 and not a darn one is growing as far as I can tell.

I know my neighbor has an incubator, not sure what kind, but it auto-turns, so I may borrow that and get it preheating.

Back
Top Bottom