d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

ya.gif
Hatched my first Blue Silver Quail or is it a Silver Blue Quail?
ya.gif

wee.gif
There will be pics later
wee.gif

jj

Congratulations. Looking forward to pictures!

I have been missing from the thread for a few days but wanted you all to know that I am still stalking BoggyBottomBantams and Speckledhen and keeping an eye on My Little Love, Rufus.

Also a very important Political Announcement follows...Please see post 13315 on page 666 of this thread for info on a Great Candidate with a no nonsense approach and great ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/384349/sdwd/13300_20

Junebug the Delawegger is the candidate of choice, trust me this girl is Da Bomb although she is an independent she is all for chicken rights!

Watch for more from this candidate soon too.

*I crack myself up, especially when people annoy me with campaign rhetoric on FB*

Red that is one ugly baby...I think it needs to come live here at the Menagerie' so it is not picked on at your place. Nothing worse than growing up being starred at and having wings pointed at you because you are different. Send it here right away before the bullying begins.
cool.png

*snicker* That is just an adorable chick indeed. Congrats!

Red that is one ugly baby...I think it needs to come live here at the Menagerie' so it is not picked on at your place. Nothing worse than growing up being starred at and having wings pointed at you because you are different. Send it here right away before the bullying begins.
cool.png

yuckyuck.gif
I have read many of your posts on this thread and you are a hoot. HOpe some day to meet you.

Aubrey let me know what you think of this cockrel he's still pretty young (16 weeks) and should fill out some more. Just want to know if he is worth keeping. Hes pretty dark was thinking about putting him with some splash quail hens.

Here is the male I kept from my hatchery birds. He got his beard picked out.He has a lot more blue in him than my hens, is he still a splash?

cool.png

That will just make it grow up tuff, like Rusty.

jj

well JJ,

You finally got somethink I dont have yet, blue silver quail, yes it' would be blue silver. I do have the lavender version going though, got some f2 eggs set now. Looks good, cant wait to see it grown up. Now are these going to be all hens? Did you do the blue quail to silver cross we talked about a while back??

Plan to cheat and do that to mine as well this year, and do the same with dun too on them, then breed the hens back to a silver male next year to finish out some in both sexes.... congrats either way. Nice rare color. Think Kristen is the only one who had tried the blues yet.

On your male, he has pluses and minuses. Type looks good except that tail, way too low, but that might just be 1 shot from the pic, if he keeps it that way though, of course it's not right. Comb looks "ok" could be a bit better, cant tell if it's rounded or not in the back, it needs to flow to a good point in the rear. Colorwise, I like the darker ones myself. Looks pretty good, needs a little more color in the hackle and all, those tuff spots to get right... All in all, I'd keep him and use to a REAL good hen. Pick and cull for your best and continue on.... I wouldnt toss him by no means til I had better ones to cull too.

On the blue. He is darker than my splash, but lots lighter than my blues... thinking he's a dark splash though as washed out as his body is. If you remember what he looked like as a chick that would help. If he was dark blue, he's a blue quail, if he was a washed out real pale blue grey he's a splash.

I have been asked before to do this, so plan to do it this year as stuff starts to hatch.... Take pics of all the different colors as day olds so people can see them all as chicks and better know what they have..... I promise I'll do it this year. shouldnt be long, just waiting on the girls

well JJ,

You finally got somethink I dont have yet, blue silver quail, yes it' would be blue silver. I do have the lavender version going though, got some f2 eggs set now. Looks good, cant wait to see it grown up. Now are these going to be all hens? Did you do the blue quail to silver cross we talked about a while back??

Plan to cheat and do that to mine as well this year, and do the same with dun too on them, then breed the hens back to a silver male next year to finish out some in both sexes.... congrats either way. Nice rare color. Think Kristen is the only one who had tried the blues yet.

On your male, he has pluses and minuses. Type looks good except that tail, way too low, but that might just be 1 shot from the pic, if he keeps it that way though, of course it's not right. Comb looks "ok" could be a bit better, cant tell if it's rounded or not in the back, it needs to flow to a good point in the rear. Colorwise, I like the darker ones myself. Looks pretty good, needs a little more color in the hackle and all, those tuff spots to get right... All in all, I'd keep him and use to a REAL good hen. Pick and cull for your best and continue on.... I wouldnt toss him by no means til I had better ones to cull too.

On the blue. He is darker than my splash, but lots lighter than my blues... thinking he's a dark splash though as washed out as his body is. If you remember what he looked like as a chick that would help. If he was dark blue, he's a blue quail, if he was a washed out real pale blue grey he's a splash.

I have been asked before to do this, so plan to do it this year as stuff starts to hatch.... Take pics of all the different colors as day olds so people can see them all as chicks and better know what they have..... I promise I'll do it this year. shouldnt be long, just waiting on the girls

The blue silver came from the silver male and a splash quail hen that I didn't know was laying, I thought only the whites were. So I guess it could be either sex. There is a lot of silver showing in the down. Some of my black ones show silver and others don't. I am going to watch and see if the ones you can see alot of silver in the down turn out to be hens. It kinda makes sense to me because the males have one copy of the silver gene and one copy of gold so don't know how much of the silver would show. But I am just guessing.

On the quail I couldn't get him to pose untill after I put him back in the pen, but I don't think there is a problem with his tail angle. He has the spike on the back of his comb but it curves down and doesn't show up well.The color he does have in his hackle is kind of mahogany, which is why I was thinking about using him in a blue quail project because that would get washed out some. But like always I am guessing. Probably just need to do it and see what happens then I will learn something.

jj

Back
Top Bottom