d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Mine laid her first egg on the floor of the chicken house. The next egg was in the wooden nesting box filled with shavings in amongst the bantam buff brahma eggs. It helps to have dummy eggs or put her egg in the nesting box to teach her
wink.png
I had a dummy egg in there for almost a week & my other hen laid with it once I got an actual box up. I might try moving the egg thing though

Thanks, Aubrey, it means alot. And about the silver quail I think she is pretty awesome too. I have a quail pullet that is really good and I usually show them both. When you look down the row they both stand out first for type and color but also size. They look big in line with all the rest. I hear comments like "those silver quail are really looking good now just get their size down" and " That quail pullet would have went a lot farther if she wasn't so big". The silver hen weights 22.2 oz. and the quail pullet weights 19.4 oz. Judges and people who have been showing for years say they are big.
think they are nuts, that dont sound big at all to me, maybe a touch on the silver, but not enough to get fussy about. Thing the feather quality may be something they arent use to seeing is all. A good puffy bird looks bigger than it is. Just like my ohiki, they look big til you pick them up and see they are d'anver body sized.....

Audrey, 50-100 emails a day?!!
ep.gif
I feel honored that you have been taking the time to respond to mine
bow.gif

Something I have found that works great for producing fat, vigorous chicks and keeps them from getting pasty butt is a 7 whole grain cereal (Bob's Red Mill 7 grain hot cereal) I buy at the health food store. It is finely ground, which works great for the bantam chicks. It contains, wheat, Rye, triticale, oats, oat bran, barley, brown rice and flax seed. I sprinkle it on Purina Flock Raiser that I crush for the babies. Of course I only hatch a small volume of chicks each year, so I can afford to spoil them. Oh, and I also buy alfalfa leaf tea from the health food store and sprinkle it on their food. Alfalfa is very rich in vitamins
wink.png

I have seen more interest in the d'Anvers in Northern California lately. Especially for 4Hers since they are so easy to handle. I fell in love with them when I saw them for the first time at our biggest, yearly poultry show in Stockton, California. I only saw the quail color though. When I went searching out breeders and saw Audrey's website with all those colors I new I just had to have some
droolin.gif
I had already purchased porcelain d'Anver eggs from a BYCer, having a very poor hatch of 3 out of 12 eggs with one being a star gazer which luckily I was able to save since it was my only pullet and a real sweet bird
love.gif
I kept the better of the two roosters and the pullet and hope to add more porcelains from Audrey's stock
celebrate.gif
In the mean time I couldn't resist some of the other beautiful colors Audrey has produced and hopefully soon I will have some hatching eggs coming
fl.gif
I think that once you have some d'Anvers it becomes obvious, like Audrey said, they are hard to beat!
thumbsup.gif
oh any time. I try to check on here every day, but this time of year it gets hard too. But I always answer questions every day. Glad to help everyone. It's the best way to promote the breed after all. Yep though, 50-100 gets to cut into your day after a while haha. Uusually takes me 2-4 hours a day to answer everyone.. got to love it I guess...

And yes, norther CA, OR and WA are 3 of the biggest areas I send stuff too. Tx would be next and the Ohio valley areas is right up there too, but the nothern west coats by far has all them beat for area of interest. bet 1/4 of everything I send out goes to that area.

I like those blue columbians, JJ. Very nice. Someone is interested in getting my Aubrey to show. What do you think? Think he would do well in the ring, conformation-wise? He'll have to get used to being handled more than he is now. And dang, his spurs are massively long at the moment since my dremel tool was smoked up in the fire.

My little Roo got pretty aggressive with me yesterday. He tried to attack me a few times, but my Cochin Bantam Roo defended me once. It was kinda crazy.

I like those blue columbians, JJ. Very nice. Someone is interested in getting my Aubrey to show. What do you think? Think he would do well in the ring, conformation-wise? He'll have to get used to being handled more than he is now. And dang, his spurs are massively long at the moment since my dremel tool was smoked up in the fire.
I think he will do well, don't see too many porcelains at shows. The mottled colors are hard to get ones that match the standard, unlike some of the solid colors.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep the roo from attacking? He doesn't it multiple times now & if I wasn't wearing pants he might acomplish something. It really doesn't feel good either. I want to keep him, but if things don't change he'll have to go
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom