d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Glad you little guy has been caught. And thanks for the answer about the egg laying....mine are 3.5 months old so it will be a while.
Hope you are not drowning!

Here are pictures of my little d'Anver pen babies at 3.5 months. Counter clockwise from upper right
Mille Fleur roo, ? may be a BBR or Ginger roo, Buff Columbian Roo, Mille Fleur roo, Black pullet, tail of a Buff Columbian pullet and a Mille Fleur pullet.

The three Porcelain are on the right...Thats a Spangled OEGB lurking in the back left.

Same pen I don't know for sure what variety the one on the top left is...maybe a Ginger roo.
The Mille Fleurs are varied in colors...darker to lighter and more or less white, but all are healthy and spunky.

And three pullets that wer in the other pen...
I think this one is a Mille Fleur and she climbs onto you shoe and pecks you leg until you pick her up...a real cuddler.

and this one a Buff Columbian...

But not sure on this one.... she sure is a sweetie.

I'm having to separate the OEGB and the d'Anvers soon...Right now they all get along, but the closer we get to egg laying, the more feuds there might be....of course I could separate the boys from the girls.....

In your 3rd picture from the top, the hen nearest, what colour is she? I have one identical and she was from a buff columbian type boy with a quail hen.

that one is either a ginger red or a buff columbian, same as the male in question in the pic.

It's very hard to tell them apart in a picture . The buff columbian hens (which is what you have for sure Bantam) get that stippled back when outcrossed to another color. But quail is based on buff columbian, so if you bred a buff columbians to a quail hen and got this new chick, it's for sure a buff columbian. The back markings come from the quail pattern in her. All mine have it, but with each passing year of back breeding, the backs get cleaner and cleaner on the girls. The males hackle cleans up too. Without a breed outcross here in the States, color breeding is just the only way to get them back. Even though they are a recognized color here....LOL NO ONE has them.
Been the same deal on my normal columbians, had to use silver quail to make them, and slowly refining out the back color on them too.

Nana,
looks like you got them all about right color name wise

The last pullet is a dark bb red.
oterwise you have them all labled right. On the columbian verses ginger. The gingers are usually a good shade or two darker red than the columbians. Those are almost always orangish in color. That top one in question looks to be a ginger

The 3rd pic columbian , if I had to guess. I always make mine when they hatch cause the chick down color is a night and day difference, then they grow up very similar

Hey Aubrey, glad you're back answering questions. I got a million of them. First can you tell gender of a golden neck chick by color, if so what is the difference?

I have these two pullets that came out of silver quail eggs (the white ones)

and this rooster (comb is not very good)

What are the chances of making columbians next year?

Finally, I just like posting pictures of this guy. I ended up with a few bb red(ish) looking pullets so I will try and make more next year.

Bantam Username...that pullet in the third picture is a Buff Columbian
Nana,
looks like you got them all about right color name wise

The last pullet is a dark bb red.
oterwise you have them all labled right. On the columbian verses ginger. The gingers are usually a good shade or two darker red than the columbians. Those are almost always orangish in color. That top one in question looks to be a ginger

The 3rd pic columbian , if I had to guess. I always make mine when they hatch cause the chick down color is a night and day difference, then they grow up very similar
So glad to hear that they are BBR and Ginger. I was hoping some of those hatched. I have a few of the columbian that are darker...makes them possible Ginger. The only quail I have is the blue quail cockerel I was given by a friend. All the others are from BBB's eggs.
It has been fun watching them grow and get their feathers. Won't they molt again this year. Right now they are only 3.5 months of age. I know the colors will only improve with each molt.

Quote:
Hey Aubrey, glad you're back answering questions. I got a million of them. First can you tell gender of a golden neck chick by color, if so what is the difference?

I have these two pullets that came out of silver quail eggs (the white ones)

and this rooster (comb is not very good)

What are the chances of making columbians next year?

Finally, I just like posting pictures of this guy. I ended up with a few bb red(ish) looking pullets so I will try and make more next year.

Looking forwad to seeing the offspring you get from those pairings! That Creole is really pretty.

So what would I get if I crossed this buff columbian type girl with my silver quail boy?
Also, she seems to be getting slightly more markings as she is getting older, I was really hoping they'd get less. I love her rich ginger colour but am very undecided as to whether its worth keeping her. I don't have her parents as I bought the eggs. This is what 2 of her brothers looked like......

And the other brother looked like this.......

Wish I could answer more genetics questions in this thread, but my area of expertise is in the barreds and blue/black/splash.

Speaking of rain, it poured buckets of rain all night long. It's been raining off and on for days now and though we have been in that terrible drought, I'm getting a little tired of things not drying out around here. We have cleanup to do after the loggers finished our extra acreage, cutting our firewood for winter and clearing the slash so we can put our back perimeter fence up to keep out roaming dogs, etc. Hard to work when everything is so wet that it soaks your clothes down to your skin.

Porch railings are green with mold/mildew and paint is peeling and we need to sand and repaint, but no way in all this high humidity. Guess that will have to wait for dry, cooler fall days.

Bought feed yesterday. Hasn't gone up anymore than 50 cents for the Tucker Milling mini pellets yet. They were out of Knockout so they gave me the 13-way 16% protein scratch for $1 off their normal price of $15/ 50#. He told me that just plain old cracked corn was $14/50#. Glad I don't buy that, but I'm sure the prices will be up by the next time I need to buy it.

That's why I'm letting my main flock free range as much as possible and allowing my older birds to die off without replacing them as they go. I have a group who is over 5 years old that I'm sure won't be around too much longer so I'll just let them go naturally and eventually, my numbers will be less. I've also made quite a bargain out of two pair of D'anvers (well, one of the pullets is a Coch'Anver and she laid her first egg yesterday!) and will be giving away 4 of the 5 chicks if someone buys the two pair. The bantams can't free range (except that Shadow grew up doing it and seems to be pouting that she can't get out of that darn pen) but they don't eat much at all.

This bunch of chicks it the hardest to sex of all the d'Anvers I've previously had. The combs are taking ages to pink up, if they're cockerels. NONE have the Columbian hackle markings, even at 6 weeks old, though I'm sure at least one is a male. Rufus and Rusty had very dark and distinct markings as did most all of the males I hatched from them. Now, all of this batch are definitely sired by a porcelain and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. That was almost a great way to sex them, other than Carly, who was marked more like the males. These are all marked like the pullets I've hatched, but I see pink on one comb for sure and maybe on two.

Last edited:
Speaking of rain, it poured buckets of rain all night long. It's been raining off and on for days now and though we have been in that terrible drought, I'm getting a little tired of things not drying out around here. We have cleanup to do after the loggers finished our extra acreage, cutting our firewood for winter and clearing the slash so we can put our back perimeter fence up to keep out roaming dogs, etc. Hard to work when everything is so wet that it soaks your clothes down to your skin.

Porch railings are green with mold/mildew and paint is peeling and we need to sand and repaint, but no way in all this high humidity. Guess that will have to wait for dry, cooler fall days.

Bought feed yesterday. Hasn't gone up anymore than 50 cents for the Tucker Milling mini pellets yet. They were out of Knockout so they gave me the 13-way 16% protein scratch for $1 off their normal price of $15/ 50#. He told me that just plain old cracked corn was $14/50#. Glad I don't buy that, but I'm sure the prices will be up by the next time I need to buy it.
Sounds like you have tons of work to do...just send that rain to Oklahoma!
Tilex sprayed on the mold will kill it and not harm the wood...works on leather, woodwork and walls too. SIL has a detail shop....swears by it.
Our feed prices have gone up for both poultry and cattle. We had a $63 per ton jump on cattle cubes and the layer pellets went up $1.50 per 50 # bag. I buy 10 bags at a time and get a 10% discount.

Last edited:
I use Greased Lightning but you also have to spray with high pressure or scrub it off. We have hundreds of spindles since this is a 4 side wraparound porch, all painted white (ick)-wish it was stained, not painted.

Okay, folks, sexing help on this one chick with a bad case of Kentucky Leg Fungus--this batch just passed their 6 week point on Thursday and I'm stumped on a couple, especially this one. It shows a barest hint of pink in the comb (less than the pic would indicate, though), but the comb is very flat, no hackle black, no indication of a male really, but this is the largest of the 5 chicks.

What say you? Late blooming cockerel or big boned pullet? The leg picture was just to show you the KLF this poor child has. Aimee has only a few feather stubs on the outside of her legs, but this child of hers is postively infested!
Credit to my DH who helped hold the chick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom