Dark Egg Breeds Thread

Here's an old picture of some Roosties in their coop
pop.gif

11818_happy_new_year.jpg

Black Copper Maran for sure!! French strain is the one you want! not the english!, French has some feathers on the legs, very dark and red!, im in the process of obtaining some!... i think their awesome!,

Wow... ya all make me want to go see my babies... In the dark... haven't been to my coop in like f.o.r.e.....e.vvve.....errr... alright I am going outside... The sick/hospitalized friend is ruling my kingdom right now... Keep Virgil Peters in your prayers... and his wife... (she has chickens... henny penny, bertha, and some other names I can't remember)... Not marans but she loves her chickens... they are in their 70's and this is a real blow... He was going riding with his grandaughter and was struck down at breakfast....with a pancreatic attack... short version.. It is likely going to be another couple months before this resolves... He was the healthiest most active person I know... But I miss my chickies.

I went outside in the rain and sat in the coop with my babies... I am going to move my juvenile pen... they were not getting enough shelter... the biggers kicked them out into the rain... I had to bring the babie (5 months old) in and let them dry off a bit... Good thing I went and checked on em...

I am going to set them up a new pen outside Wonka today.... with their own house that they don't have to share with adult hens.

Last edited:
some random pics ,first one is small cabin i am playing with , ive never built one , i will fill the gaps with concrete
20346_mvc00034.jpg

this is a water cooler i use with a cattle water float thing that fills the watrer with garden hose that runs to float
20346_cooler.jpg

this is inner marans coop with blue tarpunder roost is stapled to 2 boards that are 2 x 2 and makes it easy to clean under roost .coop holds 15 birds easy , i used concrete hardy plank siding on outside
20346_mvc00081.jpg

hears the outside picture and coop is small building on left of shed
20346_mvc00092.jpg

\ his is portable coop i tow with ATV it has nest box on side and it is pictures sitting up off the ground on logs but it has 6x6 pt timbers to skid it on ground
20346_mvc00116.jpg

this is a silkie+plymoth rock cross
20346_mvc00142.jpg
this is a silkiee =ee cross
20346_silkie_ee_cross.jpg

and lastly ,,,i wounder would this be counted as 5 points
20346_mvc00185.jpg

20346_mvc00190.jpg

Nice work Berk!Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see your little log cabin, is that all out of timber from your land?

Oh, I count 6 points on your boy, but I can't really see that clearly. Hoping maybe someone else comes along who can see it more clear.

smile.png

So, you do count the first point on the piece in the front of the comb but you don't count the point on the blade in the back. Does that make sense?

So, this illustration shows 5 points

11818_comb-single.jpg

This guy, Spawn of Satan, has 6 points. I'm kidding, that's not really his name; just his disposition. His real name is Pepe.
So, even though he has a point in the back, it's part of his blade so you don't count it.

11818_marans_22_weeks_008.jpg

Feel free to chime in anyone if you think I'm wrong.

Oh, nice woodsy cabin project Berkley!-Can't wait to see the pictures when the log cabin is done.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom