Dark Pied or Split White?

Faisal12

In the Brooder
May 29, 2023
Bahrain
I'm new to Peafowls and I've been reading a lot about them..
I'm confused about the difference between Dark Pied and Split White.. some people said its the same and others said its two different colors..
I bought 2 Peafowls.. first one is a 3 years old Peahen (BTW she produced 3 White and 3 IB chicks this year) and the second is 2 months Peachick with more White flying feathers than in these Pictures (I would like to know its gender if you can help me).
I would like to know if these two peafowls called Split White of dark Pied..
Thanks for your help!
Faisal
Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 4.46.33 PM.png
IMG_2463.PNG
Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 4.47.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 4.46.53 PM.png

Your hen is split White, the young bird in the last pic is a cock.

A Dark Pied is a bird that carries two Pied genes, and a split White carries one White gene. Neither is a color, they are both patterns.

Every bird carries two chromosomes getting one from each parent and when they breed they will pass one of them to the offspring. The offspring will get one from each parent. So when your hen produced a White chick which requires two White genes it got one White from the mother and one from the father.

Therefore your hen is split White, if she was Dark Pied she wouldn't have a white gene to pass on to the chick.

Visually they are nearly impossible to tell. They may or may not have any white on them at all. Some will have a white dot on the top of the head, that is a very good indicator. They can have a white throat patch like this girl in the photo. They could also have white secondaries that you can't see unless you spread the wings. But they do not have to have any white on them at all. You have to know the breeding to know if they carry two Pied genes.

Attachments

• IMG_7879.JPG
    IMG_7879.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom