Darn, darn, darn, what did I do? WHAT? WAAAAAAaaaaaa.....

IggiMom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
West Virginia
Ok, I thought for sure that at least five of those little Serama eggs were good.

Two hatched on the 20th day and they are doing fine. They hatched with no problem, about an hour from pip to hatch.

I left the others in the incubator until tonight, wanting to give them a chance, and then decided that if they had NOT hatched by now, they were not going to. So I took them out and I did an Eggtopsy in the sink just to see.

At least I guess I know how to candle some, anyway.

Those three eggs were just full of dead but completely developed little chicks.

I almost feel tearful about them. Poor things, there was just NO REASON that they should not have come out of those eggs and be scratching about with their adorable little sibs.

WHY DIDN'T THEY?

I don't totally trust the humidity thing, but I think the temperature was just spot on.

Should I get an expensive hygrometer, you think?

Ok, I'l stop going on and on. It just upsets me so much. Heck, the yolk was completely absorbed in those eggs. They should have hatched and I do not understand why they did not.

I can totally understand why people get all obsessed with these little Seramas. In addition to being cute, they are so friendly. As soon as they see me they start twittering for me to pick them up.

Catherine

Oh, so perhaps it was nothing I did? It just happens? Well, that makes me feel a little better, thanks.

Catherine

hugs.gif
I'm sorry
sad.png
Try try again. These sound like wonderful pets and I'd love to have a pair of them myself, but I'm not sure I could handle the heartbreak of what you've just endured.

I recently hatched 3 rounds of Seramas and, I,ll get in trouble for saying this, but, once they stop pipping, I go in after the ones that havn't pipped yet and have pretty good luck at it. They don't bleed like a bigger chick. Be very careful and don't rush 'em out of the shell. Some have been on the ball and get up and go like they had done it themselves. Others take a while to get on their feet and some of these don't make it, but some do. Tim

Well, I have 14 Serama eggs under Big Momma, my broody hen, so maybe they will do better.

But I surely did hate seeing those little bodies.

The two that DID hatch are delightful.

Those ones that died did not pip at all. I do not think I could have kept myself from helping if they had done so. One looked as if his little beak was right there, ready to pip.

There are little chirps from the Silkie eggs that are due today or tomorrow.
big_smile.png

Catherine

Quote:
Well, I found the website very interesting, thanks. I guess maybe I got some that carried that lethal gene.

I'll see how my little Silkie/showgirl eggs do. Someone is cheeping.

Catherine

Back
Top Bottom