1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Darn it!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Godsgrl, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Apparently I am allergic to cats. [​IMG] I really had no idea, and I've had cats my entire life. Early this morning while I was still in bed, my cat came and laid on my chest. Immediately my eyes starting itching, my nose is running, full on allergy attack. She doesn't go outside, so it isn't likely to be something from her fur. Did I mention I have 4 cats in the house? This isn't good. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sometimes allergy meds work. Most often they don't.

There is no sense being miserable.

I'm sure you can find new homes for your cats, but it may take awhile.

Good luck.

I'm miserable in the summer because I'm allergic to our dog that has to stay inside in Phoenix in the summer....

C'mon September....

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I don't want to rehome the cats, if I can help it. I guess I'll try the allergy meds route and see how those work for me. I took some Zyrtec this morning, hopefully they will do something. Thanks for the suggestions.

4. epignosisjs

epignosisjs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Allergies to cats are often due to the dried saliva (from them grooming themselves) flaking off and being breathed in. Shaving the cats may help. Or bathing/brushing them often may help, especially if you can get someone else to do it. There is also a spray (for the cat's coat) that claims to reduce allergies. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  5. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    It may also help to reduce your overall allergen load by switching to unscented detergent, makeup, dryer sheets, etc.

You could also try shutting the bedroom door (if the cats don't rip the carpet out!)

6. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    As someone mentioned, shaving or bathing/brushing often will help....doesn't solve the problem but will help. Most importantly, don't allow them into your bed or bedroom period. You may have to see a doctor for prescription allergy meds. I had to get injections twice a week at one time...I'm allergic to animal dander, pollen, mold, etc...all the things you encounter working with animals & outdoors, which I've done for about 30 years. [​IMG]

7. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Also, a good bath to start with, then a weekly rinse in distilled water really helps DH's cat allergies. The cat HATED the process at first, but she's ok with it now.

8. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:AHHHH! [​IMG] DON'T shave your cats! having worked for a groomer for 17 years and being allergic to cats myself i can honestly say that shaving your cats is NOT a working solution!! Bathing cats too frequently is very bad for their skin and coat.If bathed too frequently you will actually cause yourself MORE problems by causing skin problems for your cat that will aggrevate YOUR system.
    There are products out that you can find either in pet stores or on line that help to neutralize allergic responses to cats. It's applied to the cat's coat and brushed or rubbed in. They usually actually work well.
    How long have you had these cats? It's unusual to suddenly develope an allergy to cats when you've had them for some time without trouble . Have you changed anything ...maybe their diet which may be effecting their hair coat or skin condition? Anything like that?

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thank you for all your replies. To answer your questions, mhwc56, I've had this cat for about 8 years, the others a few years less. I am wondering now if she picked up something from the house that I reacted to, like dust or something. I have changed their cat food, but I have no idea what they are eating now, as I dump the food in a big container and throw the bag away.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

10. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I tend to agree, it has to be something else that is causing the allergy. Go back to the old cat food and see it that may be the problem. If not, then retrace and see what you may have come in contact with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by