Daughter's Rooster hurt please help!

4H-Mom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Rolla, Mo
My daughter has a 1 1/2 year old Black Austorlorp Rooster she dearly loves. Well we also have a Buff Orpington Rooster. The Austorlorp was head cock to the point the Buff slept with a dog. We went to feed one day & the Buff jumped right in & the Black stayed back. Long story short the Buff decided he wanted the flock & whipped the Black Austorlorp. We put Midnight up in a cage. Full feed & water & let him heal from his injuries. This has been beginning of summer & since then we have turned him loose & caged the Buff (with his own hens). Midnight still is not putting on weight. His Breast bone is so prominent I feel sorry for him. He is limping alot. His knee is pretty warm to the touch & that is where the pain is. I cannot affor to take a $2 rooster to the vet. Asnyone please help. What can I do for poor Midnight. He needs to put alot of weight on. I am feeding 16% layer pellets. Also any ideas for his knee to take inflamation out. My daughter cries at the thought of putting him down. He runs to her when he sees her. Well now hops. He dont want held but loves to look at you. She asks that no one suggest putting him down. I kinda think that may be best. I even bought a new rooster & she still wants Midnight. Thank you.

Thank you so much. How do I dose a chicken? Is it givem in a shot or orally? Then if shot IM or SQ & how much. & how often. Thank you again. & my daughter thanks you. He is her buddy. Most kids have puppies. She picked a rooster. lol.

I don't know, I've never given it, you'll have to research it on here. I think it's best given IM in the breast.

Thank you. I will look but if it is to be given in the breast he has no meat on his bones. I am gonna put him in a 4x6 dog pen tonight with different foods & see what he eats best. Along with his pellets.

Quote:
That's a good idea. It's really a shame that it's almost impossible to find a vet who knows anything about or will even see chickens. ETA We lucked out; we found one near us who knew about chickens and took care of our rooster. Dang if it didn't turn out that she was the daughter of two now-deceased friends of ours. We hadn't seen her since she was a toddler.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I think that maybe the layer feed wouldnt be too good for him cause of the calcium maybe get him some developer food. As far as the antibotic, look at other posts. dosing instructions are given on some post. If I remember right its .25cc, but check other posts to be sure. Can you call a vet and ask about the dosing? Some will tell you.

Quote:
Seperating him is a good idea. Weight loss doesnt fall in line with a rooster getting beat up by another rooster, the dethroned rooster usually assumes his place in the pecking order behind the alpha rooster. Weight loss in conjunction with a painful knee could indicate an infection and/or parasites. I'd start by visually inspecting the bottom of the Black Australorp's feet for bumblefoot...a round dark color scab on the footpad or toes would be the telltale sign for bumblefoot. Visually inspect him for lice/mites, especially around the vent area. Check for scaly leg mites. What does his poop look like? Has he ever been wormed and have you seen worms in his poop? These can all be causes for weight loss and limping (bumblefoot.) Oral dosage for tylan 50 injectable is; 1/10 cc (one tenth cc) per pound of body weight, once a day for 3 days. In really bad cases,use it for 4 days. Dosage for tylan soluable; one teaspoon per gallon of water or 1/2 (one half teaspoon) per half gallon of water, make fresh solution daily and only source of water for 7 days. You have to add the water to the tylan and not the tylan to the water. It's best to premeasure. Make sure you use it the entire 7 days.

Thank you all. Midnights feet are fine but his knee has heat. The Buff almost killed him but I agree he should have put some weight back on. He was even with the meat chickens on 27% for a while. I have read about apple cidervinger so I am going to pick some up today.

Increase his protein intake with 22% gamebird feed. You can also give him some boiled rice and mix it with buttermilk. Buttermilk and plain yogurt are probiotics, the rice should help settle his digestive system and bulk him up. You can add poultry nutri drench in his water...it's loaded with vitamins and minerals. Discontinue after 3 days, it can cause diarrhea. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom