Day 0-1 incubation.. Fertile or not?

There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

Thanks for all the great info and questions answered. My chinese manufactured 12 egg incubator had 9 eggs and 4 hatched with 4 pipping. Its been 48 hours since the start. From the same day, all went into the incubator at the same time. One rooster a Leghorn (my icon) , multiple breeds of hens. barred rocks, Rhode island reds, and a few possible odd balls.

I am assuming my different breeds might have different breeding periods.

I have added the wet paper towel to the incubator to bring up the humidity. I have one that was pipping 8 hours ago that has not made much progress. I will continue reading on the pipping process to determine when to assist.

Thanks everyone.

If they all went in the same day then they should be close to the same time but there are always stragglers. But a chicken is a chicken as far as time for incubation. One thing that can affect hatch time is if you have warm areas in you bator instead of uniform temperature across. In the warm areas they will likely hatch sooner.

Ok, left them alone other than a wet paper towel.. And 2 popped out, the one in question finally getting it together.. No stiiching, just lifted the lid of the incubator to peek and a half inch chunk of shell shot off! 5 min later.. hello! Another 20 min after the other.. no stitching, just a pow!. Amazed this is working so well..6 of 9 eggs now, 2 others pipped.

So I guess my candling skills need some work. They all hatched! 9/9 overnight. Everyone is healthy and happy bouncing around the brooder box. I was sure 2 were failed but glad I didn't trust myself.

Back
Top Bottom