Day 1 in the bator..

AccidentalFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 29, 2007
Texas
I set the eggs at 5:30 pm yesterday, so I should count today as day 1, correct?

I have BCW Polish, Buff Orpington, Araucana, Americauna, and 8 mixed/mystery eggs for a total of 37 in the bator.

Haven't been able to get the temps to stay put where I want them. The variance is +/- 1 degree. Humidity has been great.

Now- I need to wait 5 days to candle, right? And at that point I should see spider veins going through the eggs?

I've read some sites that say to candle at 3 days. At what point do you toss the eggs? Is it the 5 day mark, or wait a few more days?

Another question- with brown eggs, at about what point will I be able to see anything? Seems the veining would be hard to detect.

You can see the veins at day 3 on white or light brown eggs, but with darker brown or green eggs you will probably need to wait until day 5. HTH,
happyhens

It depends on what you have to candel the eggs with to see in the brown ones if it is a normal egg candler its a lot easier i always wait 7 days till i candel for the first time then i still keep the non fertile ones till day 14 when i do it again just incase they are late starting i got 4 extra fertile eggs doing this last time so its worth keeping them in there a bit as long as there not doing any harm.

My instructions (with my incubator) say to candle at day 10. I have candled at day 5 (due to a fox killing my rooster - hoping for space to hatch his offspring) but haven't felt confident to chuck doubtful eggs! You may be able to discard the ones you are certain won't hatch and hang on to the others for another few days!

I tend to keep mine until day 10 or 14 so that I am positve. It seems so permanent to throw out the egg that I cant bring myself to do it early...what if Im wrong???AHHHH!!! Anyway, I candle at day 7 and 14...although my first batch I candled everynight!!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom