Day 18 and air cells are small

Because my air cell is still small, I want to give them the best chance I can and I thought maybe this would make it easier for them to break into the air cell, they're not upright they have some tissue just slightly tilting them

Because my air cell is still small, I want to give them the best chance I can and I thought maybe this would make it easier for them to break into the air cell, they're not upright they have some tissue just slightly tilting them
They should either be upright with the big end (air cell) up or they should be laying flat on their side. You don't want the small up. I would think that would increase the chance of them not getting into position right and possibly ending up malpostioned. (At east in my theoretical mind.) Tilting them so the air cell is lower is not going to make it easier for them to internally pip into the air cell.

Thanks everyone it has been a long couple days but I have 11 babies I wish I could show pics there are 5 that I'm unsure about one has been nocked around so much that it got 2 big chips and rolled upside down but I don't think it made it I done see anything but feathers and no other pip or movement can't hear anything this is ending day 22 it is so busy in there when do I take all the other chicks out of Bator the first one hatched midnight last night wait this is now day 23 I think

Last edited:
Coco, regarding your rational for tipping the eggs a bit, it's a logical thought. In the nest, the eggs are in a depression, so they would naturally be tipped a bit, and b/c of the shape of the eggs, they would be prone to roll so that the pointy end is down towards the middle of the nest (IMO). But, in the long term scheme of things, laying them flat vs. having the wide end tilted up a bit won't matter much. The mature chicklet will naturally orient a bit on the tilted side b/c of the shape of the egg and the weight distribution in the egg. I've had some eggs that tip so much that they look like they're trying to stand up on end! Those are the chicks with the heavy butts!

Coco, regarding your rational for tipping the eggs a bit, it's a logical thought. In the nest, the eggs are in a depression, so they would naturally be tipped a bit, and b/c of the shape of the eggs, they would be prone to roll so that the pointy end is down towards the middle of the nest (IMO). But, in the long term scheme of things, laying them flat vs. having the wide end tilted up a bit won't matter much. The mature chicklet will naturally orient a bit on the tilted side b/c of the shape of the egg and the weight distribution in the egg. I've had some eggs that tip so much that they look like they're trying to stand up on end! Those are the chicks with the heavy butts!
You're saying the wide end tilted up. He's talking about the wide end tilted down. Or am I misreading something? I'm understanding that he elevated the bottom of the egg so they were "head down" and non aiar cell end tilted up.

Well this morning I started to smell a death Oder so I decided to go ahead and take the Living babies out cause the one that was chipped open was dead and I didn't want the others to get sick so acted on my gut feeling and checked the others by floating them after tapping acd candling them to check for internal pip there were no signs of life so I was right the others were all sinking in the water so I called it done I have 11 beautiful babies

Back
Top Bottom