BantamAshley

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
Syracuse, NY
E6949688-38CA-41D5-BC08-C6CC2433A451.jpeg
I am about to put 7 bantam eggs into lockdown on day 18.5,
6 of the eggs are of normal developement for day 18 (the fetuses fill all “non-airsac” egg space), but one of the eggs appears to be developmentally behind, as if it were on day 15 or so, with the fetus only filling 2/3 of the “non-airsac” egg space.

Does anyone know what to make of this? Is this a thing? ‍♀️
Do I give it any special treatment going into lockdown?
-thanks!

Yes, The air sac is on the larger end, you are, of course, Correct...
In the photo, the dotted line depicts the air cell; I am candling the small end of the egg, as to show the excess space that this fetus has not yet filled.
I would have also suspected that the egg was incubating in a cold pocket, except the incubator that I used automatically rotates the eggs in a circular motion, so if there was a cold pocket, all of the eggs would have spent an equal amount of time in the hypothetical cold pocket. So it doesn’t explain the lag in just one egg.
Maybe it’s just a very very small chick?? I’m stumped.
I guess we’ll see.

First of all the air cell is normally on the rounder side. Second the other could be slower in developing due to the position it is in the incubator.

@WVduckchick @Texas Kiki @PercheronChick @aart @azygous @casportpony
Thank you all in advance

0F3E6146-5B57-44D8-8CD1-3F972FAE147A.jpeg
63086B4B-E13C-4304-AA28-AC32FC539704.jpeg
x2 can you see any movement in the egg? In my honest opinion that eggs looks dead to me :hmm Could you get a pic of you candling the air-cell?

Sure! Here are two new pics of both the air sac, and the extra space on the small end. It’s as active as ever! And still has clearly defined veining.

View attachment 1664441 I am about to put 7 bantam eggs into lockdown on day 18.5,
6 of the eggs are of normal developement for day 18 (the fetuses fill all “non-airsac” egg space), but one of the eggs appears to be developmentally behind, as if it were on day 15 or so, with the fetus only filling 2/3 of the “non-airsac” egg space.

-thanks!
I had a duck egg the same as yours, I locked it down with the oters and it hatched the same day but it was the last.

View attachment 1664441 I am about to put 7 bantam eggs into lockdown on day 18.5,

-thanks!
To clarify, it hatched the same day as the others, on time but the last of the batch to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom