Day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick Phil A, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Chick Phil A

Chick Phil A Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2012
    Why can't it be Sunday yet?!?!

I started with 19 of the biggest eggs from my own flock of 8 RIR and 5 mutts (plus 1 RIR rooster) and discarded the infertile/dead during the candling process. It appears that about 50% were fertile and only half of those made it to lockdown. I had a temp spike to 105.x on Day 10 and a few of them became dark mush.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of the white egg & the egg just below - they are hybrid RIR/mutt and should look interesting.

The air sacs seem small so I'm not going too crazy with the humidity and will keep it around 60-65. It says 46 because I had just opened the lid to arrange the eggs so they would be touching one another during lockdown.

[​IMG]

Golden mutt which is the friendliest out of the bunch as she is very social and loves to follow me around. When I first adopted the mutts she wandered too close to the house to visit the dogs, who promptly chased her and got a taste of her tail feathers. She booked off into the woods at high speed and it took me a few hours before I found her hidden under a rotting log 50yds in, still terrified. Surprisingly she has been fine ever since, but does give the dogs a wide berth.

[​IMG]

RIR Roo w/ white egg laying mutt
    [​IMG]

2. lisa lisk

lisa lisk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Greenfield Iawo
    pretty mutts, I hav some hens that look just like that.
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by