Day 19 with Broody Hen and now mites!!

MamaNoccy

Chirping
Jan 17, 2020
Australia
At least, I think they're mites. They were a lot smaller than pics I've been looking at on the web. Some of them are white but then there's red ones from feeding on the blood etc. Only saw one or two on her (and I checked her all over, no louse/mite eggs but a lot of flaky skin from where she's pulled out her feathers for brooding, vent is clear) but there were a couple on the eggs themselves. My first instinct is to obviously clean out the entire coop and nesting area, so I moved her to a new spot with her eggs and she wouldn't have it. I even tried putting her in a identical nesting box that I had just cleaned and she kept trying to break in to her old nest. With it being so close to hatch should I just let her be and do a deep clean once the babies are here? I watched her get a good dusting today so I'm hoping that helps in the short term.

At least, I think they're mites. They were a lot smaller than pics I've been looking at on the web. Some of them are white but then there's red ones from feeding on the blood etc. Only saw one or two on her (and I checked her all over, no louse/mite eggs but a lot of flaky skin from where she's pulled out her feathers for brooding, vent is clear) but there were a couple on the eggs themselves. My first instinct is to obviously clean out the entire coop and nesting area, so I moved her to a new spot with her eggs and she wouldn't have it. I even tried putting her in a identical nesting box that I had just cleaned and she kept trying to break in to her old nest. With it being so close to hatch should I just let her be and do a deep clean once the babies are here? I watched her get a good dusting today so I'm hoping that helps in the short term.
Be careful, my BO hen died from mites during broody. Feed garlic and ACV.

I went out to check again because I thought it was odd that there weren't many on her and i sfitted through the bedding and it's teeming with them. I really want to move her and the eggs to clean it out but I'm scared she'll freak out and refuse to sit with it being so close to hatch.

Elector PSP was the only thing of the many things I have tried that worked. It’s expensive but was very worth it for mites that took over a year to successfully get rid of (it’s on amazon). Not sure about safety around chicks though.

Back
Top Bottom