Day 20 need reassurance

Somshine

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
So it's my second hatch. Day 20. It's actually been smoother so far and only removed one out of the 22 as of day 18. I've got two or three with question marks but the first time my question mark egg hatched. Last time it was such a bowling fest that this time I put some of that soft rubbery stuff that you put in cabinets or under carpets for grip in there. Definitely keeps them from rocking. But now I'm thinking by last time I was seeing rocking. Fingers crossed. The only thing I did different was candle on day 18 and mark air cells on top of removing the turner. Had them out for about 10 minutes now I'm terrified I ruined everything.

The hatch was a little different than my first one. Although I did everything the same. Yesterday one of them was born and crawling around with the others in the incubator and I started seeing blood all over the place. I figured out it was coming from this chicks umbilical area. Was not completely dried off. I quickly yanked it out and held a compress on it and wrapped it well and kept it warm. It was a lot of blood. And it was a little sleepy for a while. But today it's fine and doing well with the other chicks. This morning the second one that was zipping at 4:00 a.m. had halfway unzipped and just kept trying to push itself out. I could see a little blood tinging around the cracks it was making so I just left it alone. After a couple hours I can tell the membrane was drying around it and it wasn't coming out and it was starting to give up trying.. So I nipped the dry membrane and put it back in. It came out a few minutes later. Everything looked fine except it's little umbilical stump started to bleed. Not as much as the one yesterday. So I did the same thing and that one is fine now too. So I've got one with yoke all over the place and two that had a bleed. Both of the bleeders looked like they had bled some in the shell but by the time they had pushed themselves out there didn't look like there was much blood in any of the veins. Just still a not quite finished umbilical stump.

I don't quite feel experienced enough to assist. Of course the way the one yesterday was bleeding I knew I had to get it out and make it stop. And the one this morning I could tell had been unzipped so long everything was starting to dry out in there so all I did was snip the dried membranes still attached at its zip that we're beginning to look like leather and let it finish on its own. I would have had no idea what to do with the one with the yolk.

Considering I had the one with the yolk and then the two who's umbilical cords just didn't seem like they should have been where they were at while these chickens are hatching I can't help but think the other three maybe are giving themselves the time the others didn't give themselves.

Maybe it was just the older hens with the ginormous eggs. I don't know if these particular issues would line up with that. Luckily two with complications are doing fine now. My three eggs with question marks haven't done anything but I kind of didn't think they would. The other three seemed fine before lockdown so I'll just see what they do.

At day 7 I had a hundred percent. At day 14 I had a hundred percent. From what I could see. Some of them are difficult to see through but what I could see looked right in line with the others. Day 18 I had three that I felt like were lighting up too much compared to the others.

Everything looked so good on day 18. I did put two layers of that stuff down. Last time my eggs would rock if I had to just move the incubator a little bit to get a look in the back. They barely wiggle when I do it now. But the stillness on day 20 is driving me crazy. Now I'm thinking why didn't I just remove the turner and put the lid back on.

Back
Top Bottom