Day 20 need reassurance

My comet and my barred olivegger were the culprits in all three of these. The barred olivegger was the yolk chick. It was also one of the umbilical chicks. And it's third egg I had put in there hatched fine. Of the three I put in there from the comet two hatched and the third was the other umbilical chick. The three left or blue eggs from my blue girls. The rest of their eggs hatched fine.
I couldn’t even fathom a guess, sometimes these things just happen 🤷‍♀️ maybe @NatJ or @nuthatched could help on that? I’m rubbish with anything to do with genetics etc.

Maybe it was just the older hens with the ginormous eggs. I don't know if these particular issues would line up with that. Luckily two with complications are doing fine now. My three eggs with question marks haven't done anything but I kind of didn't think they would. The other three seemed fine before lockdown so I'll just see what they do.
Yeah I would just wait and see how they go 🤞 did u candle them at day 7 or anything to see if they were fertile. I’ve got a couple in my incubator that are a bit suspect, we had a power cut for 19hours, but luckily most seem ok. I’ve left them a couple of days, but I’m going to candle later on, to check for development.

The set up. Holding 18 right now. Mama hen box is 2x2 but also it's at about 84 roof top. So some like it there too.
I think I see a heat plate inside the brooder, and I can see that it's inside a house.
Why are you using a heat lamp as well?

I don't normally use a heat lamp at all. That's is specifically for handling and inspecting the first few days so there's no ambient chill. I had just got done and it helped with picture lighting. We keep the windows open this time of year. Hence the poly sides temporarily too.
That room goes from about 50/55 to 70 everyday so I control the chill for a few days until they know what to do. The light is way too strong for chicks. It's for my hair 🤣 It keeps their floor at 78 at that distance. I promise that thing goes up after about 3 days and only goes on when I'm with them.

That makes sense :)

Some people over-heat chicks and cause extra problems, so I just wanted to check ;)

Back
Top Bottom