Day 20 need reassurance

So I can't figure out why these three had issues and the others did not. I do know all three of them came from very large eggs. But those hens are getting a little older and that's pretty much all they lay so it didn't really have any smaller options but wanted some babies from them.

My comet and my barred olivegger were the culprits in all three of these. The barred olivegger was the yolk chick. It was also one of the umbilical chicks. And it's third egg I had put in there hatched fine. Of the three I put in there from the comet two hatched and the third was the other umbilical chick. The three left or blue eggs from my blue girls. The rest of their eggs hatched fine.

My comet and my barred olivegger were the culprits in all three of these. The barred olivegger was the yolk chick. It was also one of the umbilical chicks. And it's third egg I had put in there hatched fine. Of the three I put in there from the comet two hatched and the third was the other umbilical chick. The three left or blue eggs from my blue girls. The rest of their eggs hatched fine.
I couldn’t even fathom a guess, sometimes these things just happen 🤷‍♀️ maybe @NatJ or @nuthatched could help on that? I’m rubbish with anything to do with genetics etc.

Maybe it was just the older hens with the ginormous eggs. I don't know if these particular issues would line up with that. Luckily two with complications are doing fine now. My three eggs with question marks haven't done anything but I kind of didn't think they would. The other three seemed fine before lockdown so I'll just see what they do.

Maybe it was just the older hens with the ginormous eggs. I don't know if these particular issues would line up with that. Luckily two with complications are doing fine now. My three eggs with question marks haven't done anything but I kind of didn't think they would. The other three seemed fine before lockdown so I'll just see what they do.
Yeah I would just wait and see how they go 🤞 did u candle them at day 7 or anything to see if they were fertile. I’ve got a couple in my incubator that are a bit suspect, we had a power cut for 19hours, but luckily most seem ok. I’ve left them a couple of days, but I’m going to candle later on, to check for development.

At day 7 I had a hundred percent. At day 14 I had a hundred percent. From what I could see. Some of them are difficult to see through but what I could see looked right in line with the others. Day 18 I had three that I felt like were lighting up too much compared to the others.

At day 7 I had a hundred percent. At day 14 I had a hundred percent. From what I could see. Some of them are difficult to see through but what I could see looked right in line with the others. Day 18 I had three that I felt like were lighting up too much compared to the others.
I have got 4 really dark eggs that I will just have to wait to see if they hatch. Their weight look good so I am quite optimistic 🤞 pls update us about your other 3, I’ll keep my fingers crossed 🤞🤞

The three that had question marks were suspect anyway. I have some older hens that I decided to try and get some chicks out of if I could. Each time they always seem to be the issues. Their eggs are starting to get older henish and probably not ones you'd pick to incubate anyway except if you're just specifically trying to get some babies out of those hens. I don't know. I'm new to this (hatching). I've been reading a lot and trying my best. The first time I set 22 and this time I set 22. Last time I got 12 this time I got 14🤷🏼‍♀️ There is just so much conflicting information on opposite ends of the spectrum I try to learn everything I can and put it together with reasoning and personal experience I guess.

Last edited:
The set up. Holding 18 right now. Mama hen box is 2x2 but also it's at about 84 roof top. So some like it there too. Itty bittys like the cave. As they get a few days older the roof is preferred. We'll raise the hight in a few days.

Attachments

• 20230402_201746.jpg
    20230402_201746.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230402_201646.jpg
    20230402_201646.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230402_201654.jpg
    20230402_201654.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230402_201702.jpg
    20230402_201702.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230402_201853.jpg
    20230402_201853.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 4
The set up. Holding 18 right now. Mama hen box is 2x2 but also it's at about 84 roof top. So some like it there too.
I think I see a heat plate inside the brooder, and I can see that it's inside a house.
Why are you using a heat lamp as well?

Back
Top Bottom