day 20--quick question!!!

samara

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Hi,

I am on day 20 of my first hatch!! I've seen 5 of the eggs wiggle, but there are 2 that consistently wiggle. I had a humidity prob yesterday, my probe doesn't measure humidity, so I finally realized that it was the digital reader that could measure humidity, after all night of over 81% humidity! (day 18) Also my temps are ranging from 99-100.6, it doesn't want to stay at 101. I am using a still air.

Should they all be wiggling by now? I haven't heard any peeping.

Samara

Last edited:
You've still got one day to go. The resaon your temps read that way is you have to have an average temp of 101. So it sounds like your machine is doing that fine. As for humidity better higher than lower, again you are looking for averages. Sounds like you have it figured out fine. Not all of us have see through cabinets sometimes its better too cause we don't worry so much. I wait 12 hours after hatch date then open ,remove dry chicks ,close and give the eggs another 12 hrs . Then open, remove dry chicks ,look at the rest see if any others are coming a bit late and repeat the aformentioned steps. For me it depends on if I set the eggs in the am or pm cause thats usually when they start hatching. good luck I have duckies hatching this am YEA!!!

Thanks Napa,

Good thinking. Actually I set them in the evening, so tomorrow at 6pm will be day 21.

What kind of ducks? I am enamored with them, just wondering if they would be as easy for my neighbor to look after when I am out of town.

Samara

My ducks are a mixed quack pack. WE have 2 welsh harleys, 2 cacky cambells, 1 appleyard , 1 muscovy those are the hens and then I borrowed a most beautiful chocolate & silver drake that is half call duck and half wild mallard. The ducks are easy to take care of. Plenty of water a little food, green grass and a safe place to sleep is all they need. WE spend hours watching them in the new pond I dug for them.

quack pack

wink.png
love it!

Are they getting their new pond totally "ducky"?
big_smile.png

When you have a pond, is their cleaning involved, or is there a whole "eco system" that takes care of waste?

One more, although this thread is not supposed to be about ducks, I am passing the time, as I haven't seen my soon to hatch eggs wiggle lately~!
Are they friendly and sweet, or do you just enjoy watching them from afar. What about them letting you pet them?

Samara​

Pet them??? ROFLMAO No they and we are equally happy to just watch. Although not really from afar. The male is usually first in and takes great pride in sharing the wealth of liguid with me. I swear it is his mission to make sure I get thoroughly wet with him. And yes because my pond has a liner once a week I let it get empty and go scoop the duckyness out. I don't really mind as I get enjoyment from any time I get to spend with "Quack Pack"

happy to give you a good laugh:p

remember, I'm a city girl!!

anyway, guess what??? Three of my chicks hatched this morning They are so cute!!! Several others have pipped. I even got to video one hatching!

Soooo, thanks for the help--again:)

Samara

Back
Top Bottom