Day 21 and no sign of hatching..

ehxsnohs

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 10, 2014
New here but we currently have 2 bantam chickens we got for my daughter as pets. A hen & rooster. We decided after doing some research to try and hatch a few of their eggs, just for fun. So we set up the incubator and currently have 4 eggs in it. Two of them are not due to hatch till the very end of the month, one is due the 24th and we can already see something forming and the other one is on day 21 today! Last week I candled and you could see baby taking up most of the egg and moving around all over the place and a nice air bubble on the bottom. Well I know your not supposed to but I candled today (in a very warm room and very fast) and the air bubble is all up the side of the egg (is that normal?) And I no longer see movement :( no pipping or anything. Is it dead? I thought we were doing everything right, stopped turning it the last few days, kept the humidity & temperature right. My 4 year old knows it was supposed to hatch soon as keeps asking :(

The air bubble being on the side of the egg is called dip down. It means the chick is almost ready to hatch and is in position.
But I'm concerned about what you said about the air bubble being on the 'bottom' of the egg. It should be at the large end of the egg and that should be where the chick's head is. And it should be the 'top'. Can you clarify?

It's not unusual for a chick to take 22 or 23 days to hatch. Don't give up on it yet. The chick may have been sleeping and not dead.

Oh yes its on the larger end of the egg! Sorry I've always just thought of the larger end, as the "bottom".

Thank you though! Ive never heard of the dip down so that makes me happy!

It's not going to explode like a rotten egg I don't think. It won't hurt to leave it a few more days if you have another one ready to hatch. No sense endangering the good eggs by opening the incubator. Sorry you lost the one.
sad.png

How did you have them positioned in the incubator? Were they big end up or down in a carton or laying on the floor the whole time?

Last edited:
I had them on the floor but turned it 3times a day up until day 18.
Is it for sure a goner then? The other two eggs aren't due to hatch till the end of the month. Is there anything I can do to have a better chance with these two? Our humidity is always around 60, temp at about 95 and I rotate them 2-3 times a day. Is that alright?

For incubators without a fan (still air) the temperature needs to be kept at 102. Mine tends to waver at 100-102, but I try to keep it at 102 as much as possible. The humidity depends on the air cell. You want it to lose grow throughout incubation, but it can't get too large. I've kept my humidity at 45-55% and raised it at lockdown to 60-65%. Here is an article with more info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Back
Top Bottom