Day 21 and no signs of hatching

Chickychick25

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2020
Hello! I have used a home made incubator to incubate eggs and this is my first attempt. Today is day 21 and I've got no signs of hatching. There are no pips and I could hear no chirping. I'm really worried because I had been counting days from long and had waited eagerly for this special moment. I've kept five eggs for incubation and all the five were fertile. Last time I candles was on day 17 and I could see embryos clearly. They were kind of wriggling inside. But now am afraid because there are no signs of them hatching out.😟 What might be the reason? I have a thermostat to maintain the right temperature but I don't have a hygrometer to check my humidity levels. But otherwise, everything is fine. Right now, I have kept two bowls of water since there is a need to increase the humidity during the lockdown period.

How accurate is your thermostat, and do you have an actual thermometer inside? I understand you have a home-made inki. Did you turn the eggs during the process?
Maybe the temps were on the low side. That usually results chicks developing slower, and may be just a little late. Just be patient, and maybe you will have success.:thumbsup
Many peeps use their home-made units with success. This is your first time. Maybe you will learn to do it better next time. :idunno
WISHING YOU BEST:hugs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

How accurate is your thermostat, and do you have an actual thermometer inside? I understand you have a home-made inki. Did you turn the eggs during the process?
Maybe the temps were on the low side. That usually results chicks developing slower, and may be just a little late. Just be patient, and maybe you will have success.:thumbsup
Many peeps use their home-made units with success. This is your first time. Maybe you will learn to do it better next time. :idunno
Thanks a lot for replying. I could say that my thermostat is accurate because I often check the temperature inside using a thermometer. I don't have a thermometer inside but I pop it in via one of the holes that I have made for ventilation. Yes, it indeed is a homemade incubator made of cardboard box and yes, I've turned my eggs till day 17 during incubation. After that, I closed the lid for the lockdown once I kept an extra bowl of water for raising humidity. Sure, thanks. I'll wait.

Dear Cavemanrich, I'm really excited to tell you that one my eggs have pipped. I'm really happy. I just noticed it. Though there are no chirping sound, I could see a pip that didn't exist a while ago.When I candled the last time, this was the biggest embryo of them all. So if my guess was right, other babies will take a little more time to hatch. Thank you so much for your answer. Will keep you updated.😃

:thumbsup :highfive: I know the excitement is GREAT
Yes, it indeed is. Only one out of five eggs pipped yesterday and today when I tried to peeping in to have a glimpse of what was happening, I could see a chick out. But this chick was from another egg. The one that pipped yesterday is lying just as same as it was yesterday. No progression can be seen but it chirps. It has pipped in the middle. Is that a malpositioned chick?

congrats:) .. dont mess with them, theyre fine for a couple of days ..
Finally, my second chick is out. There are no signs of pips in the other three eggs. When I tried candling, the air cells very very large. Too large!!!! I've two full bowls of water to raise the humidity during the lockdown, but still the air cells are very large. Is there a problem with my eggs? Should I be worried about the other chicks that hasn't hatched? These little ones which are out toss and roll the other three eggs. Will they hatch????

Back
Top Bottom