Day 21 no pips yet...

I got my first pip late day 20 and hatch on early day 21. I was not there to see it hatch but when I got to it at 6am it was half dry already.

Don't give up
fl.gif

yeah, the suspense is killing us....I was up all night worrying until I noticed this thread was 22 days old!
big_smile.png

seriously, I don't worry too much until day 22 or 23 rolls around.....lots of folks make the mistake in counting the "set" day as day one and really it's the "set day"!

So, if you "set eggs on April 1st at 9:00am don't look for much to happen until April 22 or 23....assuming your temperature was rock solid the entire hatch.

I've learned with my Buckeye's (after 9 years of hatching) they tend to hatch closer to day 21 with a slightly higher 'bator temp around 100.5 or 101F instead of 99.5F.
The "standard" or lower temp (99.5F) generally drags my hatches out to day 23 and I'm sure this might be incubator specific (i use mostly Brinseas).

Hope it all worked out!

Quote:
I finally found the post again! How did everything turn out???????????????

Wow, this is an older post....LOL

OK, short version: I got one great/funny chick out of the 12 shipped eggs (See pics below - you can also go to my BYC Site and view my page and incubator page). Right after the hatch I rebuilt my incubator, fixed some issues discovered during my first hatch and set 18 Blue Barred Rock eggs, so far two hatched yesterday (a day early - cutest gray chicks) and today is day 21 and playing waiting game....

LONG VERSION:

“Bucs-Bator” First Hatch After Action Report.

I started this adventure well before taking any action by reading up on incubation here on BYC and the web. Once I set my mind to the task I was on the fast track – is there a fast track when incubating????

On Feb 05, 2011, I ordered 10 Black Australorp Eggs from a breeder selling on Ebay.

On Feb 06, 2011, I began working on my incubator (Bucs-Bator). It did not take long to learn I could not maintain the heat levels I wanted; so I turned to the folks here on BYC. BYCer “rickerra” (BTW: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!) suggested I add heat sinks and a thermostat which I did with great success.

On Feb 09, 2011, the eggs arrived. Ten were ordered, 12 arrived, two were cracked during shipping and the rest looked fine. I took advantage of one of the cracked eggs by opening it up and looking for the “bullseye” and it was present. I fired up the incubator; let it steady out. I let the rest for 24 hours.

On Feb 10, 2011, the eggs were set. My temp remained steady between 99.1 and 100.4F, the humidity averaged 44% and the eggs were manually being turned three times a day by tilting the incubator (simulating an automatic eggs turner). I purchased Distilled water for the water tray.

On Feb 18, 2011, I candled the eggs and determined that I had two with no signs of development. I very carefully cracked them open and the yolks looked like they had been scrambled. This left me eight eggs three of which looked really good and five which I marked with a question mark because I simply was not sure if they were viable.

On Feb 21, 2011, I candled again. This candling eliminated three of the questionable eggs. I had two with early signs of life but they were “quitters”. Based on the charts I have seen on the web; they quit on or about day three. The last of the three had a blood ring. This left me with three good and two eggs I was still unsure of.

On Feb 28, 2011, I candled the eggs for the last time. I still had what appeared to be three good and two which I could not determine.

On Mar 04, 2011, day 22, I had one which hatched. I float tested the remaining eggs late that evening and I had zero movement. I opened them all at that point. The questionable egg quit on day 14 or 15 based on the charts and the last three looked as if they made it to day 21 but they had a greenish-yellow mass/ribbon in the area of the yolk sack which others here on BCY identified as bacteria build up.

Today, Mar 05, 2011, I took apart the incubator to make some modifications and removed the water tray. Upon inspecting the water tray I found mildew. I don’t know for sure, but, if mold hurts people I have to believe that it can harm a growing fetus. I wonder if the problem is the Distilled water as there is no chlorination; thus, nothing to stop the mold from growing?

In conclusion: I look at this hatch as a moderate success. The original 12 eggs shipped obviously took a beating during shipment. I believe this eliminated seven of the 12. One made it to day 14 or 15 and died and four died from bacterial growth. All of which I don’t believe I had any control over. I would like to know about the mold issue and if you have any idea how to eliminate this mold problem I would greatly appreciate the advice.

But, once all is said and done I have this chick to show for my efforts and that’s pretty cool:

Just Hatched:
73772_img_5551.jpg

Day One:
73772_img_5560.jpg

Today 03/26/2011:
73772_img_5644.jpg

Back
Top Bottom