Day 21 - One Egg

Apr 15, 2020
Hi All -

I gave my broody 6 eggs on April 4. There is 1 egg left that I am not even sure is viable. It doesn't smell, no weeping, etc. It's olive and I really can't see very well into the egg (never could. I can see an air sack but that's it. There is nothing pipping yet and I can't hear anything coming from inside (no chirping).

We did a hatch with this hen last spring and had 5/12 eggs hatch.

If I put them in on April 4th late in the day, would tomorrow technically be day 21?

How long should I wait until I discard the egg?

The other chickens created some havoc in the broody's nesting area when she got up to feed for the day a few times so she is now in a crate until the egg hatches (if it does). If there were disruptions with the eggs would this cause the grow rate to extend at all?

Thanks for any advice.

As long as it isn't damaged or stinky, I'd probably let it go out to 24-25 days just to be sure. This would account for slow growers or if your hen decided to steal another egg a day or so after starting the clutch.

And yea, if your hen wasn't super reliable with keeping the eggs warm, that could slightly extent the growing time.

Hi All -

I gave my broody 6 eggs on April 4. There is 1 egg left that I am not even sure is viable. It doesn't smell, no weeping, etc. It's olive and I really can't see very well into the egg (never could. I can see an air sack but that's it. There is nothing pipping yet and I can't hear anything coming from inside (no chirping).

We did a hatch with this hen last spring and had 5/12 eggs hatch.

If I put them in on April 4th late in the day, would tomorrow technically be day 21?

How long should I wait until I discard the egg?

The other chickens created some havoc in the broody's nesting area when she got up to feed for the day a few times so she is now in a crate until the egg hatches (if it does). If there were disruptions with the eggs would this cause the grow rate to extend at all?

Thanks for any advice.
Today the 25th would be the 21st day.

Back
Top Bottom