Day 23 of hatching duck eggs

Pics

Hev1977

Chirping
Oct 3, 2019
England
Hi all, I'm completely new to this. I did my research, bought some eggs and followed all the advice. Unfortunately, my eggs were shipped, 4 out of 5 had detached/saddled air sacs and one had a crack!! I'm down to two viable eggs, one has a detached/saddle air sac, the other is fine. The embryo/duckling in the saddled egg seems small compared to the other egg. The air sac is huge as well. I candled this evening, only slight movement from the normal egg, (duckling does seem to be filling it) and there is movement in the saddled egg. My worry is the hatch, for both of them!! How should I set the saddled egg at lockdown?? Does anyone have any advice on if and when to assist?? I'm desperate here, can you tell!? I've spent so long waiting for hatch day, talking to the eggs, I've already fallen in love with my babies, and would be heart broken if anything went wrong this close to the end!! Thanks in advance for any advice.

:welcome Knowing when to step in or IF you should step in during the hatch is one of the hardest things to explain but there are a couple of links here on BYC that, sometimes in graphic detail, explain how the hatching process works as well as how to step in and assist if necessary. Waterfowl are waaaaaay slower to hatch than chicks so most of the anticipatory anxiety is because they're just SO SLOW! I hope that your hatch goes smoothly and that assistance isn't necessary but the below links are helpful if needed!

This link would be good to read over and understand so you know why it's important to wait. I'll forwarn you that there are some graphic images of chicks that hatched too early but it's an incredible source to have when hatching!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

This is another link more focused on assisting any type of poultry but they are both very good sources of information.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

595F36F2-BBB0-42CD-95F2-50EE90F4CDDF.jpeg

Welcome to BYC.
:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

How are the eggs sitting in the bator now?

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site (how to upload photos too):

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<< Click there to go to that thread.

BYC has an APP!

Back
Top Bottom