Day 23 Poor hatch rate mistakes/errors

tenman

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Day 23 - of my incubation results
hmm.png
. Maybe some newbies can learn from my mistake & errors and also any expert/experienced hatchers inputs would be greatly appreciated. Bare with me its a bit long but very detailed but can be quite useful.

Had 3 seperate hatches within this period:

Using GQF 1588 genesis with the new temp gauge & humidity gauge on the window the turner with auto turners. Temp steady at 99.5-100 for 18 days. Humidity varied from 45%-55% for 18 days.

Using LG still air unit with upgrade forced fan inside the unit. Held temp steady at 100 deg for couple of days with humidity at 60% initially before eggs placed in it.

1st hatch (12 eggs) set in hatcher 4/19 @ 7am - placed in LG hatcher unit day 18 came back 12 hours later noticed temp was at 98 deg but thought maybe the temp was off because it was steady for the last few days at 100deg. Humidity was bout 60%

2nd hatch (6 eggs) set in hatcher 4/19 @ 7pm- forgot to take out of the turner along with 1st hatch so placed it in the LG hatcher 12 hours later. LG temp was still at 98deg & humidity varied between 58-63%

3rd hatch (6 eggs) set in hatcher 4/20 @ 10pm- placed in LG hatcher unit 27 hours after 2nd hatch was set in hatcher. couple of hours later Temp read at 97 deg and humidity about 60%.

On 4/21 @ 9pm - didn't notice any piping so I got a little worried placed in another thermometer and found the temp was really at 97 degs so I freaked out and upped the temp to the temp reader to be about 98 for a few hours then to 99 before going to bed at 11pm. (I guess Temp readings was correct on the digital thermometer.)

on 4/22 @ 10am -
-2 piped eggs and about 3 eggs that were moving around from the 1st hatch in the LG hatcher.
-2 piped eggs with 1 moving egg that were from the 2nd hatch.

Waited all day and in the afternoon 3 hatched out. 1 from the 1st hatch and 2 from the 2nd hatch. The 2 that hatched from the 2nd hatch were from the very middle of the incubator and the one that hatched from the 1st hatch just a little on the topper right of the middle. The 4th egg that piped from the 1st hatched never came out and died and dried out after I verified it 12 hours after it 1st piped.
Temp was 100 now and humdity was about lower 60% ish. No more piping and non other was moving anymore so i upped the humidity to 70-70% and waited till the next morning.

on 4/23 @ 7am - there were 5 new piped eggs but all from the 3rd hatch. 2 piped ones came out fairly easy the last 3 had a lot of troubles coming out. They piped but nothing else after 6-8 hours so i got worried they would die like the one that piped that never came out so I help peeled back the egg a little. I noticed that their blood vessels where still very noticeable and a bit bloody when peeled but I stopped when i got to it. I up'd the humidity to 78% & waited several hours peeled more until they finally were okay to come out in the morning of 4/24 @ 7am. I think if i hadn't attempted to help them the last 3 would never of came out.

My comments/thoughts about my failed hatch:
1st hatch - 1 hatched out of 12
2nd hatch - 3 hatched out of 6
3rd hatch - 5 hatched out of 6

Error # 1
I'm going to start in the beginning. First off, after I was done with this hatch I went and verified the temp and humidity in the GQF gennesis 1588 window humidity gauge & after verifying it, it was about 9-11% off on actually readings. So instead of giving the eggs in the turner 45-55% I believe what I was giving them 54-64% of humidity the whole time they where in the turner.

Error #2
While they where in the hatcher I did'nt remove the air plug on top of the LG forced air fan.... could this also cause a problem because it did not circulate in fresh air???

Error #3
I believe that 3 days of low temp from 97-98 degrees applied to the 1st and 2nd hatch made it have lower hatch rate & believe the 3rd hatched better because it only endured 1 day of low temp???

Error#4 I think the hatcher initial humidity of about 60% was to low for the first 2-3 days in the incubator???

Please excuse me for any bad grammars but any comments would be high appreciated!! Good luck to you all you hatchers hope you will learn from my mistakes.

Sounds like you need a new incubator! ; )
I am having some trouble too. My incubator hold a perfect temp and humidity, the operator of the hova, not so much. I think I candled my babies to death. They are due today and on day 17 the eggs had a lot of movement when candled, day 18 nothing at all. Now they are in lockdown, but I think they quit. I am sad...I am not sure what I could have done wrong except that I candled too much. My humidity dipped down for a day in to the 20% range, but I am not sure if that would be lethal. I just dont know how both eggs would expire on the same day....unless our power went out while I wasnt home. I know hen leave the nest for short periods of time, but I wonder if the eggs got too cold while I was peeking at them, but I didnt handle for more that a minute or two....do you have any idea what could cause them to stop moving after day 17?? The air cell is huge in one of the eggs....not sure what is going on...hopefully they will magically pip tonight! Let me know if you have any advice. Thank you!

Well i think my problem was i wasn't monitoring the incubator with the right numbers and the GQF humidity gauge was 9-11% off which totally threw off my hatch so im feeling i may of gave to them to much moisture initially and with the low temps in the hatch they failed.

As for your hatch I think if you've sustained good temp and humidity through out the 18 days you should be okay but a major factor could be depending on what brand, meters your using to monitor them with could be the ultimate factor of them hatching. If they are accurate your good if they are 2+ deg or more off that could be critical as well as the humidity gauge. It was at day 18 so they wont be moving as much or at all so you can barely see any movements. The big air bubble it will depend Im not to sure on that one. Lets cross fingers and hope yours hatches.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom