day 23

momtoecl

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 24, 2007
I have an egg that has pipped but not broken the membrane. Is this ok? The membrane looks white...kinda like a hard boiled egg.

You can carefully use a drinking straw or something similar and drip one drop of very warm water at the edge of the pip, not the center of it. Do it right next to the shell. I've had that happen even with humidity way up. I think some membranes are just tougher than others.

will try that. I can't check my humidity. I don't have that kind of gauge. How long is "ok" for an egg to have pipped but not break the membrane?

I got the egg out and was able to place a drop of warm water on the membrane. I was able to get a small piece of broken shell off and noticed the hole in the membrane. THis was after I place a drop of water on it. I can hear it pepping and it is trying to break through some more. The hole that is there is the size of a pin hole.
The membrane is dry. I put it back in and will wait some more.

Yes, I have placed a damp cloth in there when I took it out to dampen the membrane. It has been 1.5 hours since I did that and the chick has made another break in the membrane. But the break in the shell is not "zipping". The membrane still looks white.

a chick must be out of the egg within 24 hours of the first pip or the chick will most likely die. After that long theyre just too tired and seem to give up, trust me, i learned this the hard way. Go with your gut, if you think you need to help the bird, try a little at a time.

It has made more progress since I dampened the membrane. I think it's going to be ok. I'll wait some more before I help anymore. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Back
Top Bottom