day 24 no babies!

irenew

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
My sisters hen is sitting tight on her clutch of 6 eggs it is day 24 and nothing is happening should I do something?

yes they are supposed to be fertile she bought them off a trader and transported them carefully home.

I candled them yesterday. Though the room was not adequately dark there appeared to be a large air sack and dark mass, though I couldn't descern movement

just thought I'd let people know what eventually happened. Day 24 came and 3 babies hatched in the night. Day 25 came and there were three unopened and very cold eggs. I don't know how the hen let them get so cold. The first two when I opened them showed that they were infertile. The third had a live chick. Its beak was trough into the airsac but it was cold and very still, sort of gasping a little bit. I got the egg warmed up a bit and left it in mt sister's care for a few hours. When I got back to it she had let it get cold again. Yeah I would be fussing over it I was surprised to see the poor thing still alive. I carefully removed the shell and the chick gave a sort of kick and freed itself of the last bit of shell. Then as it was so cold I held it in my hands and put her heater on. (she had switched it off when she went out during the day) I could feel its little heart beating stronger as it warmed up. Then I put it in a warmed box and the wee thing dried and struggled to stand. By night on day 25 it went back in with Mum. When it went in it shoved the other chicks out for its place and now my sister reports when she puts her hand in to catch a baby(get them used to people) this hand hatched chick is the only one she seems to be able to pull out.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom