Day 29 one duck hatched day 26--still see movement in eggs but no pipping!

I really hope so!! I would hate to lose them so late in the process. I hope I didn't mess them up by opening the incubator those few times (to take out the duckling, to candle, to add water..)

Nah, as long as humidity didn't plummet for an extended period of time, they should be fine.

How's the little loner doing?

Once they internally pip, the humidity needs to be cranked up, so if you can check them again tomorrow, and see any internals, I'd crank it up. Days are more guidelines, so go by what your eggs are doing, not by the calendar. Jmho.

Oh, and turning can stop any time now, you are well beyond the major importance of turning.

UPDATE: I was just at the school and there is an external pip!! (Day 31) I quickly added water, turned down the temp and unplugged the Turner. And now I wait! Hopefully the other 25 will be ok locked down a day early.

I think every egg that developed normally should be ok if you stop turning it after 23rd to 25th day. It's better to turn them until they are more ready, but it might be better to not turn them than to turn them too long and to kill ducklings that way.

Good luck to you and your ducklings!

Nah, as long as humidity didn't plummet for an extended period of time, they should be fine.

How's the little loner doing?
I haven’t been able to see the loner eat today. He has been pooping normally, but whenever I go in to check on him he sits in the corner looking like he’s about to fall asleep but then he continuously jerks awake...or a least that’s what it looks like is happening. He also opens and closes his mouth like he’s eating but there’s no food where he’s sitting. The water has bits of food in it whenever I come check on him, which makes me think he’s been eating...but I’ve been sitting in here for over 30 minutes now and he hasn’t eaten or drank anything.
Is this normal?

UPDATE: I was just at the school and there is an external pip!! (Day 31) I quickly added water, turned down the temp and unplugged the Turner. And now I wait! Hopefully the other 25 will be ok locked down a day early.

:clap yeah!

I haven’t been able to see the loner eat today. He has been pooping normally, but whenever I go in to check on him he sits in the corner looking like he’s about to fall asleep but then he continuously jerks awake...or a least that’s what it looks like is happening. He also opens and closes his mouth like he’s eating but there’s no food where he’s sitting. The water has bits of food in it whenever I come check on him, which makes me think he’s been eating...but I’ve been sitting in here for over 30 minutes now and he hasn’t eaten or drank anything.
Is this normal?

Probably normal. Especially since you see food in the water, probably just being polite and not eating in front of you. :D
If he doesn't perk up more by tomorrow, might be cause for concern. Did you put a stuffed toy, or mirror or anything in with him?
(I use an old sock, stuffed with toilet paper and tied in a knot. Disposable. Lol)

[
:clap yeah!

Probably normal. Especially since you see food in the water, probably just being polite and not eating in front of you. :D
If he doesn't perk up more by tomorrow, might be cause for concern. Did you put a stuffed toy, or mirror or anything in with him?
(I use an old sock, stuffed with toilet paper and tied in a knot. Disposable. Lol)

Okay, thanks. He does move around and chirp when I clean the brooder or add more water...when he gets scared he bustles around. I just wish I could've caught him in the act of eating today--that would've made me feel better.
Thanks so much for the suggestion of the old sock stuffed with toilet paper!! I didn't want him to be alone, but I didn't have any mirrors or stuffed toys that I was willing to throw away after using it. Just put the stuffed sock in there with him...hopefully that helps!

[

Okay, thanks. He does move around and chirp when I clean the brooder or add more water...when he gets scared he bustles around. I just wish I could've caught him in the act of eating today--that would've made me feel better.
Thanks so much for the suggestion of the old sock stuffed with toilet paper!! I didn't want him to be alone, but I didn't have any mirrors or stuffed toys that I was willing to throw away after using it. Just put the stuffed sock in there with him...hopefully that helps!
Ok so nothing hatched in the incubator over the weekend :(
I candled them this morning and the air cells were all bigger than when I marked them on day 25 but none looked drawn down, and I didn't see any movement in the eggs anymore except when I would turn them over and around :'(
One of the eggs didn't really have an air cell anymore, it just looked like the egg was filled with liquid. Do you think that means it drowned?
I don't have the stomach/heart for eggtopsy.
But it being day 32, it seems like maybe it's time to get rid of these eggs. Would you agree?

I candled them this morning and the air cells were all bigger than when I marked them on day 25 but none looked drawn down, and I didn't see any movement in the eggs anymore except when I would turn them over and around :'(
One of the eggs didn't really have an air cell anymore, it just looked like the egg was filled with liquid. Do you think that means it drowned?
But it being day 32, it seems like maybe it's time to get rid of these eggs. Would you agree?
Also, the loner seems to be holding one of its wings out to the side a bit and that wing is sort of shivering this morning. Any idea what that means?

Oh darnit. What about the pipped one?
The one that looked like liquid, did it look good at lockdown? I've seen early quitters look sloshy, especially under broody hens that roll the eggs too much, but I'd definitely NOT open that one. If it drowned, maybe your humidity was too high throughout incubation??

Also, the loner seems to be holding one of its wings out to the side a bit and that wing is sort of shivering this morning. Any idea what that means?

Hmmm what are you feeding? Could need some extra vitaminB or niacin.
@Miss Lydia can chime in on that.

Back
Top Bottom