Day old chick attacked by other hens and can't see

Oct 24, 2022
This morning i went to check if my bantam chicks had hatched since i was expecting them to and i found a day old chick that has been attacked and cannot see! šŸ˜° i am extremely devastated
20230203_140913.jpg
20230203_140854.jpg

His both eyes are swollen and had also been missing some feathers on it's neck.

Thankfully the good news is that he walks and is quiet energetic for a injured chick. I have put idodine on his injuries as i have also done in the past with injured birds. I am hoping one day he will heal and open his eyes soon again.

I would deeply appreciate of anyone has any other advice or tips to heal this chick?

Poor little thing.

Did you put Iodine on the eyes? If you did, I wouldn't do that anymore.

Saline or Vetericyn would be good to use for cleaning the eye, then you can put a dab of ointment like Terramycin or Original Neosporin in the eye and the surrounding tissue.

Hopefully the chick has not last her eyesight, once swelling goes down, you'll be able to tell more.
In the meantime, you'll want to make sure your chick is eating and drinking. You can hand feed/water her or syringe feed her, but you'll have to take care with syringe feeding that she doesn't aspirate.

Poor little thing.

Did you put Iodine on the eyes? If you did, I wouldn't do that anymore.

Saline or Vetericyn would be good to use for cleaning the eye, then you can put a dab of ointment like Terramycin or Original Neosporin in the eye and the surrounding tissue.

Hopefully the chick has not last her eyesight, once swelling goes down, you'll be able to tell more.
In the meantime, you'll want to make sure your chick is eating and drinking. You can hand feed/water her or syringe feed her, but you'll have to take care with syringe feeding that she doesn't aspirate.
I sprayed on the neck, for the eyes a dabbed it a little with a tissue but i won't be doing that anymore. Hopefully the the swell will go down.

As for the syringe feeding im very experienced with since i've syringe fed about 4 of my baby birds so i can do that.

As for the formula should i use the dry chick feed that i usually feed my chicks with and make it into a liquid ?

I sprayed on the neck, for the eyes a dabbed it a little with a tissue but i won't be doing that anymore. Hopefully the the swell will go down.

As for the syringe feeding im very experienced with since i've syringe fed about 4 of my baby birds so i can do that.

As for the formula should i use the dry chick feed that i usually feed my chicks with and make it into a liquid ?
The eye ointment you found will work fine.

Good! I'm glad you have experience with feeding baby birds!

Chick starter that is wet/soupy/ground down can be used to syringe feed her or if you can't get it liquid enough, then you can use something like Kaytee Exact Baby bird formula.

The eye ointment you found will work fine.

Good! I'm glad you have experience with feeding baby birds!

Chick starter that is wet/soupy/ground down can be used to syringe feed her or if you can't get it liquid enough, then you can use something like Kaytee Exact Baby bird formula.
Thank you very much for your help! If i need to ask more questions i'll ask you :)

Unfortunately the link i sent you doesn't ship to Australia and i cannot find any website that ships Terramycin to Aus. Do you know any website that ships Terramycin to Australia?

I have great news! the chick has opened both of it's eyes today !
My dad put warm water and vitamin e oil on its eye that was swollen and closed shut, and after a while it was open and finally ate by itself!! And now their both open!
Hopefully once the Neosporin comes in it will speed up the healing and I'll be sure to update again soon.
thank you!
:celebrate

Back
Top Bottom