Day old chick with broken leg

SnyderDragdire

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Lawrenceburg IN
So I have a chick that’s a bit less than a day old. (I hatched her) She was removed from the nest and her right leg is broken in at least one spot- the bone protruding out the back. Chick is resting and I separated her from everyone and have her under a heat lamp.

Any suggestions of what to do? I’m not going to cull her, she’s not going out of it and has an extremely strong chirp. The fact she even survived shows me she’s extremely strong.

I may look into amputating her leg but I don’t want to possibly put her into shock and make it any worse since she’s so small

Attachments

• 5DA40362-FF60-48EB-98ED-DC25353A1502.jpeg
    5DA40362-FF60-48EB-98ED-DC25353A1502.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 55
  • B821EDC4-A2DD-45B6-A8F4-2F99D2A7E4B4.jpeg
    B821EDC4-A2DD-45B6-A8F4-2F99D2A7E4B4.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 29
So I have a chick that’s a bit less than a day old. (I hatched her) She was removed from the nest and her right leg is broken in at least one spot- the bone protruding out the back. Chick is resting and I separated her from everyone and have her under a heat lamp.

Any suggestions of what to do? I’m not going to cull her, she’s not going out of it and has an extremely strong chirp. The fact she even survived shows me she’s extremely strong.

I may look into amputating her leg but I don’t want to possibly put her into shock and make it any worse since she’s so small
If she has a compound fracture (protruding bone) you're going to be fighting against infection too. The bone may die off and the leg can go necrotic if it gets infected. Keep it very clean. You can flush the wound with chlorhexidine, vetericyn, or betadine. Apply Neosporin (no pain killer).

I'm not sure about splinting here. Compound fractures can heal very weird and it may just make the leg completely useless. I'll tag some other users here who may have more information on that.

If you can, I would take her to an avian vet or farm vet to get it set and possibly some antibiotics.

@Eggcessive
@sourland
@azygous

If she has a compound fracture (protruding bone) you're going to be fighting against infection too. The bone may die off and the leg can go necrotic if it gets infected. Keep it very clean. You can flush the wound with chlorhexidine, vetericyn, or betadine. Apply Neosporin (no pain killer).

I'm not sure about splinting here. Compound fractures can heal very weird and it may just make the leg completely useless. I'll tag some other users here who may have more information on that.

@Eggcessive
@sourland
@azygous
I did clean the leg very carefully and applied neosporin. I know it’s got to be hurting but she’s not panicking and she is very calm. She also hasn’t gone into shock since she will respond to me touching her and getting moved

If you can, I would take her to an avian vet or farm vet to get it set and possibly some antibiotics.

@Eggcessive
@sourland
@azygous
I also do want to take her to a vet, but i and my family do not have the money. And my family wouldnt anyway since there’s a big chance of losing her as well thinking it’s not worth it

Her breathing is strong as well, as it is easy to see her breathing. She is currently lethargic but if I am to disturb her she will move. A while ago she was attempting to walk around, so she’s not out of it and is still wanting to survive

Her breathing is strong as well, as it is easy to see her breathing. She is currently lethargic but if I am to disturb her she will move. A while ago she was attempting to walk around, so she’s not out of it and is still wanting to survive
Side not as well. I have previously dealt with injuries with my ducks and chickens- mostly with animal attacks though. As well as if this chick continues on she will be an indoor chicken

Sorry for your loss. With a compound fracture, she may have died of infection if she would have lived longer. How did she break her leg so young?
She had been taken from the nest by another chicken. I hadn’t separated momma from the others yet since I had been busy and didn’t want to make her uncomfortable.

Really sucks but I know she has at least one egg the same age as the chick’s. So hopefully there will be more babies. Momma hen is already inside and is staying inside for a while now so if anymore hatch it won’t happen again

Back
Top Bottom