Day old chick with droopy wings and wobbling around

Sw11

Hatching
Mar 14, 2021
I have a chick who is about a day old. It is not acting like the other chicks that have hatched. It constantly has its wings spread out (and drooling) and can only bring them in when I gently hold them in. The chick cannot walk, it just wobbles around. And when it tries to walk, it trips over its wings. It chirps a lot which sounds like it is in distress. I don’t know what to do. It is now in a separate brooder with only one other chick. Has anyone else had this problem? I want to try to save it if possible.

2FA95231-7E90-4AD8-BAA5-F694F58C5502.jpeg
Here is a picture of what it is doing. It’s wings are always out like this and his feet are constantly on top of them.

Is it drinking and eating normally?
I’ve been giving it water from a syringe. It will also drink if I put its beak in the water. I’ve fed it a little bit of egg yoke (I read on here to try that with a sick chick) to see if the protein would help. I’ve now noticed it won’t extend its legs. I can gently extend them for it, but it will not keep them extended not will it extend them on its own. Here is a picture of its legs.
6334F529-E9B3-48AF-A305-A27F9CCC5698.jpeg

After reading some other posts, I think it may have a slipped tendon. Can anyone tell by looking at the picture of its legs? And if that is what is going on, is it easy to pop the tendons back into place?

I’ve been giving it water from a syringe. It will also drink if I put its beak in the water. I’ve fed it a little bit of egg yoke (I read on here to try that with a sick chick) to see if the protein would help. I’ve now noticed it won’t extend its legs. I can gently extend them for it, but it will not keep them extended not will it extend them on its own. Here is a picture of its legs.View attachment 2570526
@Isaac 0

I can appreciate the angulation you're noticing, and unfortunately, when you have a chick born with a muscular-skeletal deformity, they tend to prove a poorer prognosis than one who developed the problem due to an environmental predisposition such as slippery bedding.

If you are able to manipulate the legs slightly, you could attempt to create some sort of external coaptation device to actuate the legs into the correct position; many use vet wrap, painter's tape, or rubber bands. However, Forcing the legs too much can create swelling, and loss of the blood in the legs so you have to consider when to stop. Many times these conditions can arise due to a genetically passed on mineral deficiency, so admistration of a broad range of poultry vitamin such as Nutri-Dench may prove benficial.

If there is no improvement seen with that line of treatment, your options are limited, and if the chick is still having a hard time getting around, euthanasia may be the most appropriate next step if the bird is suffering.

1616072494639.png

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-skeletal-system-in-poultry/noninfectious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers#:~:text=Valgus or varus deviation of,in turkeys than in chickens.

Back
Top Bottom