Day old chick with hurt legs

dunedin

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 29, 2014
I have a day old chick that won't stand up (was doing fine this morning) but now has both legs curled up. Both hocks look bruised and I can't get it fully extend its legs with just gentle pressure. One side is worse than the other. They aren't obviously swollen though and I can't feel any tendons out of
IMG_20171122_170256.jpg
place.

I have a day old chick that won't stand up (was doing fine this morning) but now has both legs curled up. Both hocks look bruised and I can't get it fully extend its legs with just gentle pressure. One side is worse than the other. They aren't obviously swollen though and I can't feel any tendons out ofView attachment 1192985 place.

That’s strange, any idea how it might have happened? Give him some time to try and heal. If there are any other chicks make sure they don’t peck him too much. Also make sure he’s nice and warm. If they are bruises then he should heal himself with time.

Yes, it was the last to hatch and the 12 others have been short of steam rolling it I think. It's isolated in chicken hospital now. Have given it a wee bit of electrolyte solution through a syringe that it was keen for and has perked up a bit but still can't walk. Will see how it goes. This is how far the leg will extend
IMG_20171122_170305.jpg

You could put it in a sling so as not to irritate the hock, why is it so red? Bleeding? Blood blister? Wondering if it's a vitamin deficiency, do you have Nutri Drench (vitamins & electrolytes)? Keep it warm, if you got a feather duster, it mimics a hen.

I figured out why the hocks are bruised, its because its been trying to walk on them. Feet are completely contracted up and the chick is crawling on the stumps of its hocks. It screams with pain when I try to gently open its feet and then rolls over to take all weight off them.
I've culled it.
:hit

I figured out why the hocks are bruised, its because its been trying to walk on them. Feet are completely contracted up and the chick is crawling on the stumps of its hocks. It screams with pain when I try to gently open its feet and then rolls over to take all weight off them.
I've culled it.
:hit

Unfortunately you can’t always save something. In nature he wouldn’t have stood a chance. Don’t think you did the wrong thing the chick wasn’t able to walk and would have lived a terrible life. I would burry the chicks body in my yard so that it wouldn’t go to waste, and instead give energy to another living being.

To bad it had that problem. It was a pullet. I had a cockerel who had a leg problem. His name was Kia (kī). I tried to fix his leg, but I couldn't. He only lived to be about three months. My hen Nalla adopted him and took care of him until he died. Kia's leg problem was different from what your chick had, though. It was more of sprayed leg.
I can understand about you having to cull your chick. It stinks when you have to do it, but at least your chick is not suffering any more.

Back
Top Bottom