day old chick wobbly & eyes closed.

OldMissionChick

Songster
Mar 2, 2015
Northern Michigan
New the BYC & owning chickens. Just bought 8 chicks (and 6 ducks) from the feed store. Got home finished setting up the brooders. Finally have a minute to sit down and enjoy watching them when I noticed 2 of them have their eyes shut & really wobbly (almost like they are drunk). Not sure what to do :( my youngest was the one who picked those two and I don't want them to die. Please help!

Get some electrolytes for their water, feed stores usually have Save-A-Chick packets. If they are just stressed and tired it will really perk them up. Plain sugar water can help as well but I have never used that so I don't know how much sugar you'd use. Watch to see if they are eating and drinking. If not you may have to give them the electrolyte water with an eye dropper, a drop at a time in the side of the beak and watch to see that they swallow. Usually this little bit of TLC, warmth and rest will get them going. Sometimes however chicks will just fail to thrive no matter what you do, whether they got to stressed or chilled in shipping or if they have a physical problem.

I knew I should of grabbed a couple packs while at the store! How much sugar should I use? There are a couple of the healthier chicks that cuddled up next to the two wobbly ones. Not trampling on them but cuddled up with. Should I put them in a small box together?

It looks like the McMurry hatchery web site suggest 3 tablespoons of sugar per quart of water.

I wouldn't necessarily remove the chicks unless they are being picked on or trampled on. Make sure they are warm enough but can also get away from the heat source when needed.

Update- the little brown one (in the middle of the picture) I was most worried about finally drank some electrolyte water, and boy did she drink, and nibbled on some food, had her eyes open & much steadier on her feet. The little black one (upper left group) drank very little water so I hope she comes around.

Back
Top Bottom