Day Old Chicks Imprinting On Broody?

SproutGirl

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Missoula, Montana
Has anyone had any luck with ordering day old chicks to imprint on a broody hen? I had ordered some eggs for my broody hen to hatch, but the company never sent them. So, after much waiting, I ended up having to order chicks. I am hoping that they will take to her as a mother, and her to them as her chicks. Do you think I will be successful?

I've done it with chicks I've hatched in my incubator and introduced to a broody. The chicks and hen are hardwired to want to be together, but a lot depends on the temperment of your hen. When you get the chicks, I'd go ahead and feed and water them, so they're happy. Take one or two down to your hen at night and tuck them under her, removing some of the fake eggs she's sitting on as you put chicks in. Watch her to see if she accepts them, she should make happy and contented clucking noises. If she pecks at them or attacks them, remove them. If she's happy with her new chicks, give her the rest the next night.

Congratulations!

No input, just good wishes!!! Let us know how it goes and if it works out, PICTURES!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom