day-old duckling born with folded over toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thedoors5to1, Aug 7, 2010.

1. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    hi there, have four new ducklings from my indian runners this morning a few hours ago and last nite.. one of them (the most active and off the walls duckling of the bunch) was born with his toe bent back ( see pictures) i considered it was broken but the bone near the joint that it bends is very hard like the bone malformed that way in the egg...
    he gets around great, faster and probably the leader of the four.. i also considered splint but if the bone is bent that way im not sure what much that will do..
    is it possible he can outgrow this? what should i consider? or should i splint? vet?
    thanks
    here is a picture of the toe when he is standing or running naturally:
    [​IMG]
    another view:
    [​IMG]
    up close (isnt he so darn cute!):
    [​IMG]
    the newest additions:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <3

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    awww tgey are adorable.i dont really know anything about ducks but ill give you a bump.good luck with your baby..

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    From the pic doesnt look too bad but i would try a cardboard small fix it on the foot.try a piece of light weight cardboard etc and tape the foot with clear shipping tape.trim the cardboard as close to foot shape as possibleThe tape wont fall off right away.If the foot straighten's out in couple w week's I have good tip for getting the tape off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by