Day olds and two week olds on same brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LocoPollo, Oct 15, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Will day olds and two weekolds do ok in the same brooder or will the younger ones get too badly bullied?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The little ones will probably get bullied. I plan on waiting with my new ones till they are about a week old before I put them in with the week olds I have now.
    They probably should wait till they can get around pretty good, and don't seem weak anymore. A day old chick to older chicks, even a few days old, seem sick, and the others will most likely peck.

3. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    That sounds good. I will just keep them in the brooder that they are in for a week or so.

4. citychickers

citychickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Littleton Colorado
    I added 2 bantams (1 day old ) and 2 light brahms (1 day old) to a brooder with 6 10 day old chicks. They NEVER pecked at each other. If anything, the older ones kind of looked after the little ones. It was stinkin adorable! [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I added two Brahma chicks to a brooder full of two week olds; they did fine, sort of got lost in the crowd.

6. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Well I tried it out. I put the newborns in with the others and all are fine. They new ones actually calmed the other ones down a bit. It was odd. The others were very skittish, running and hiding when I opened the brooder, panicking if i tried to grab them. Now they let me touch them and they just stand there. It is much easier to handle them now. Nice!

7. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I've got Sizzles due to hatch next Wednesday, so I'm going to try to put them with my Delawares that were hatched this past Sunday/Monday. I hope I have as good a luck with mine getting along! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by