Day pen chicken tractor

saysfaa

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
I want to build the biggest pen that I can reliably move around over rough ground. Ideally, I like it tall enough for them to have the option of a little flying.

This project is for daytime only, good weather only, and no predator defenses.
The fencing needs to have a flexible bottom edge to fit tightly enough to keep the hens in even when the ground is disked or possibly even plowed. Maybe weighted bird netting. Higher up could be chicken wire.

I have an abundance of hardwood saplings, small pine trees, willows, sumac, and other small trees. Also floribunda roses (up to 3-4" in diameter), grape vines, Virginia creeper.

Possibly, I will have access to an abundance of pvc pipe also but much of it is brittle from uv damage... most of it is 4" or 6", some is smaller diameter.

Possibly also some fence posts both steel t posts and fiberglass step in posts.

I can move the pen with the tractor (big farm tractor) so weight is not as important as most other factors.

I've been trying to figure out how to do it without wheels. Nothing is looking promising but all I've thought of is skids, I don't think they will work over such rough ground. Any other non-wheel ideas?

Alternatively, I might be able to use running gear. Maybe outriggers supported by the running gear to hold the fencing? I would need to keep the chicken off the steel or at least their poop off it. Ideas on how to do that?

Make your tractor on wheels. Make frame that holds wheel,, such so it can be lifted,, so when you get to destination just lift the wheels, and let frame set on ground.
I did something similar to the trampoline I had in the back yard. When I needed to move it,,, to cut grass, I engaged the wheels to lift the frame,,,, and I dragged the trampoline to new location.
I did this using 6 inch retired lawnmower wheels. If your tractor is going to be on the heavy side,,, you will need to get some wheels like ; Trailer wheels, or wheelbarrow wheels.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Ideas for concept for the framework holding the netting.
I checked prices and characteristics of chicken wire and bird netting; bird netting looks better other than it won't last as long unless I can keep it out of the sun.
1642666575607.jpeg
This has me thinking. I know I'd have to cover it because of hawks and eagles in my area. But if it were something I could set up by myself, hmmmm...

Since this idea is floating in your mind..

image_2022-01-20_153451.png

I am a pragmatist,,, so this is in my thoughts. Make the tractors modular. This way you can vary size, and location to suit your needs.
Use standard lengths. Lumber 8 foot. cut in ½ is 4 foot. PVC is 10 foot.
Make frames 4 foot x 8 foot,, or 5 foot by 10 foot. Chicken wire is common in 4 foot width. If you go with 5 foot frame,, you will have 2 choices. Get specialty wire not easily available,,, (but it is out there).. or splice added width.
Connect as many frames as desired for that days' purpose. These frames would be quite light individually,, so no need for wheels.
There are numerous ways to connect the frames. The most budget friendly would be rope. You would need to refresh your knowledge on good knots. (definition of good knot;; holds well and is easy to untie)
I can suggest other ways if you need more advice on connecting panels.

Per Log weight calculator on woodworking site for 2" on small end, 3" on big end of "logs" at 75% moisture ... each bent will weigh about 70 lbs.

Air dry wood is about 20% moisture. Calculator for weight of cubic foot of various species of wood at various moisture levels gives best estimate that the bents will weigh about half as much once the wood seasons. That won't take long for pieces of such small diameter.

I should be able to move it myself without issues even at the calculated sizes. I expect actual diameters to be smaller.

I'm very interested in this because DH's Christmas gift from me was one of those sets for creating the mortises and tenons for making log furniture. We can practice on stuff for the chickens. ;)

Do you think bicycle wheels would go over the furrows better?

Or, I have old truck tires and tractor tires. I was going to make potato towers out of them but I don't have to do that. They aren't good for much but some of them might handle this sort of thing. I think they would work even without rims. Or possibly some with rims under the heaviest parts and without rims under the lightest parts.

Back
Top Bottom