DE food grade! How does it work and how effective is it??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by undine, Aug 15, 2013.

1. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    LOL [​IMG] Bought DE food grade as a bug killer for my chickens. Although i always thought that if this kind of DE can be eaten, how will it kill bugs?? So ive had some test subjects, few ants, a beetle, a fly. and a realllyyyy hugeeeee flying shiny beetle. Dusted some DE food grade on them and even then..they were still alive and kicking likeee. "What? DE food grade on me? When did that happen.. because i barelllyy even noticed it" So how does this actuallyy work? I know that its supposed to like tear up the bugs outer layer, but it did not seem hurt any of these bugs.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Many threads on DE. Essentially if you want a bug killer then get an insecticide dust or liquid. Then you will see your test subjects die before your eyes. DE helps keep things dry in the coop and will slowly dry up and kill certain pests with an exoskeleton. I use both in the coop to control pests and keep things dry.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Diatomaceous earth kills insects with an exoskeleton by lacerating the exoskeleton which will not heal. The lacerations will cause the insect to dessicate and die. It is not a rapid process. I use it in the feed to help control flies. I figure that the maggots hatch then die moving around in and eating the poop which has DE in it. It also helps keep the feed dry.

I dust the baseboards in my shop with DE. It keeps the spiders and crickets under control. So it does work, but in its own fashion.

Of course, a certain amount of proper litter in the coop and its management will help keep the poop dry and prevent flies.

True, if you want to kill insects now, it takes a poison such as sevin dust as befits the pest in question.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by