DE & roundworms?

MomMommyMamma

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
West Virginia
I'm not finding a whole lot via Google for my specific question. I have read some posts here about people adding DE to their feed as a preventative for worms. Will it work to rid chickens of roundworms or is it only good to prevent infestation?

DE only works when dry. DE has no effect on internal parasites whatsoever because the inside of a chicken is not dry. DE is lauded as a preventative for external parasites only. (I personally have my doubts about even this claim to fame after using it for several years and having had to deal with multiple infestations of mites.)

Good luck.

Quote:
We used it successfully for mites last year. We did the powder-puff method.
I had not heard that it did not work when wet. I thought it maintained it's shape inside of the body.

Quote:
x2

Hmmmm....well I'm glad I asked then. I guess I'm back to medications once or twice a year then since we're surround by forest and loads of wild birds, etc.

I take one bird in for a quick fecal. If she looks good we assume the rest are. DE does not work internally. The vet does not use DE as a wormer. And as for externally...I picked up a couple of chicks already infested with lice at 1 week old. The breeder used DE by the truckload, well the 50lb bag load anyway. That's a lot of DE! She refused to put pesticide on her organic birds and her birds were covered with bugs. A quick dusting of the babies with poultry dust and I could visible see them perk up. Don't trust DE as a complete preventative or cure, inside or out!

Back
Top Bottom