De-worming chickens.

Most will worm twice a year spring and fall, if you wait until you see the worms in the poo, they will generally have a bad case of it.. I worm mine as a preventative twice a year, I personally use Valbezan, mainly beacause it is what my dogs also get for worming. It will not hurt the birds and if they are wormy it will actually make them healthier.

This thread has good info in it.. If you see some post from dawg** or Casportpony they are good ones to pay attention too.

I also routinely worm mine spring and autumn. I also worm new birds as I get them if they don't fall into this period. In the U.K. I use flubenvet which kills all worms and there is no egg withdrawal.
Don't wait till you see them as the birds could be in a state by then, also if they are in a static run you may need to worm a little more often.
Hope this helps and best if luck x

I'm sorry, I am only one year into a flock of laying hens. But I am really unsure if using non poultry worm meds is a good idea. AT ALL. My girls don't seem to be having an issue, that I can tell at this point. They've been cooped up all winter due to the polar vortex! I have been reading a lot of posts on this blog and watched a few videos on youtube, have read the "Raising Chickens for Dummies" book and still can't decide what to do. There is a lot of information that the old timers use raw pumpkin seeds to treat worms in chickens. I have 44 hens and the thought of having to throw out 14 days of eggs so I can use some toxic poison on them is unsettling. That would be 616 eggs in my case. Could someone tell me of a reference that would be more reliable? My hens are using a mixture of stove ash/sand/DE for their bath box. I have used PDZ most of the winter to help with the coop. I've not seen any lice/mites. I have a mouse trap that was a daily catch early in the winter season but no more catches since I caught momma mouse and her 10 little ones. I know they could have been exposed to worms due to the mice. BUT, as I said, I've not seen any evidence of worms in the stools so far. It is so frustrating to not be able to have something made specifically for chickens that is not a poison that affects the eggs.
idunno.gif

Some may try the natural method to control worms and if you live in an area that does not have worms then you will probably be successful. But when you start having issues then will need to treat with a medicinal wormer.

Some worry about the wormer in the egg. There are some that continue to eat the eggs. Not suggesting that is the thing to do.

Here is some information on wormers used on humans and just about all of the ones that we are using on chickens are the same.

Medications To Treat Human Worms | LIVESTRONG.COM

I use flubenvet which is proven and recommended in the uk. There is no egg withdrawal and I have 25 hens and one small tub does them all so you may need 2. It costs around £20 a tub and you mix it into their feed. It's really easy to use.
I routinely worm them twice a year spring and fall as they are on the same ground.
I use apple cider vinegar in their water and powdered garlic and seaweed in their food but I wouldn't rely on just that.

Last edited:
Rooster Booster contains Hygromycin B and Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate. I went in an googled the product. It is added to the feed at a measurement that adds an entire container to a 50lb bag of feed and fed over a 5 day period. It says the eggs are edible without having to toss them out! I'm all in! Bought two canisters last night on Amazon for $50. Thanks for posting this!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom