De-worming Schedule

MrsChickenClucker

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2021
I plan to start deworming my chickens at 12-weeks old and every 6 months thereafter as I live in Central FL. I plan to start a pea-sized dose of Safeguard paste and repeat in 10 days for the first time. Six months after treating for the first time I will use Ivermectin injectable given orally at 0.2ml/kg and repeat in 10 days.

Does this seem correct and effective? Should I be using Safeguard goat liquid 0.5cc daily x 3 days instead of the paste? Should the paste be given daily for 3 days also?

Do you prefer Safeguard to Valbazen? Also, Wazine doesn't seem to be available right now.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. What and how much de-wormer you use depends on what worms you want to treat and how much they weigh. Let us know what worms you want to treat and we will help you come up with a plan.

When you eventually worm your birds, forget the ivermectin and stick with Safeguard or Valbazen. Since you live in central Florida, it would be best to get feces tested sooner rather than later.
I’ll call on my vet listed on Poultry DVM Monday and see if I can get them all an appointment, or preschedule for when they think is appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom