Dead chick

Chickens R Us

Songster
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
I went down into the basement this morning to find a dead chick in the brooder. It was a week old. I hatch my own chicks every year and never had one die a week after hatching. She seemed healthy last night running around. I'm hoping she was just weak and it is not some sickness that will go thru the rest of my chicks. I will keep a sharp eye on the rest for anything unusual . I use the Premier heat plate and she was 1/2 under and 1/2 out when I found her. It figures it was the only one I had named because she was pure black. RIP Coal.:(

Sorry to hear about the chick.If all the others look healthy and no one has poopy butt etc then it may have just been one of those things. I had one like that last year and it was a shock and it left the only other chick all by it self and it had a hard time getting into the flock later.

I had one with pasty butt last night just a small amount, I cleaned it up and it is doing good. I am using a heat plate for the first time this year and have a lot less pasty butt than under a heat light. Only one so far.

You might want to add Apple cider vinegar {ACV} to the water, it has to be unfiltered with the mother in it. Braggs is one brand there are others. Something in this stops poopy butt and they have firm poos. I make my own using apple juice and adding old ACV. The one hatch I skipped ACV the birds had poopy butt.

You might want to add Apple cider vinegar {ACV} to the water, it has to be unfiltered with the mother in it. Braggs is one brand there are others. Something in this stops poopy butt and they have firm poos. I make my own using apple juice and adding old ACV. The one hatch I skipped ACV the birds had poopy butt.
i do add ACV I buy the Heinz it's 1/2 the price of Braggs. And it has the mother in it.

Back
Top Bottom