Dead chicken at a year and a half

camotruck

Chirping
May 22, 2010
NW Ohio
I was mowing today and was heading toward the coop and noticed one of my RIR's laying near the edge of the chicken run. I've had all 4 of them for a year and a half now, they all seem happy and I average about 3 eggs a day. Nothing seemed different over the past few days. The dead chicken had no signs of blood and I don't think she had been laying there long. I did notice one of the eggs today caved in at my touch it was so soft, I keep crushed oyster shells in a dish for them at all times.

One of the chickens will leap from time to time and land on the other chickens, is there a possibility that she jumped from the 5' high perch and landed on the other chicken possibly breaking its neck? I also looked at the chickens hind quarters and didn't notice any egg stuck or anything (egg bound?)

There are also no signs of anything getting into the coop from the outside.

I'm not sure what happened, any ideas? This is my first group of chickens I've ever had so its still new to me.

I'm so sorry
sad.png
I haven't personally heard any stories of chickens getting hurt by landing on them from the air but I guess it's always a possibility. And I agree birds are good at hiding illness and I've had that happen before.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I'll be watching the other three, I hope if it was sick it was nothing they can pass around. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

So sorry for your loss. Could have been from jumping off the roost and landing on another, I was standing at the door of my coop the other day and saw one of my Big Brahmas jump and hit one of my smaller chickens, I just held my breath, it was okay. I lowered my roost you might want to do the same.

Last edited:
Quote:
I've seen this happen too, that's why I was wondering if she could have landed on her just right. I might be lowering it a bit. Thanks for your input, along with everyone else.

Could be anything really. I've lost several young ones suddenly. I've lost one to the heat and I also lost one that got "scared to death" when I was mowing, and yes that happens! So sorry that you lost her!
hugs.gif

I lost an Australorp last year at a little over a year old. Seemed fine, laying eggs - no sign of illness. The only thing I noticed on the morning of her death is that she didn't run to the outer part of the run with the others. I didn't find it that unusual, since she looked fine. Later in the morning, when we went out to give snacks, she was laying on her side exactly where I had seen her last. It was very sad since she was a favorite. We have no idea what caused her death and never lost any others.

Very sorry you had to go through this and hope your others will be fine.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and support, I appreciate. So far, the other 3 hens seem better than ever. No troubles in sight at all.

Back
Top Bottom