Dead Chicken this Morning Another Dying

Velma&theChix

Chirping
12 Years
Oct 24, 2010
Missouri
I am working with my first "large" batch of chickens. We currently have approximately 50 meat birds and 20 layers. This morning one of the meat birds was dead and another seems to be dying (he's laying down and is very weak). The other chickens are pecking at him and there were signs the dead chicken had also been pecked on.

Here are the particulars:

mix of Highland 55's or White Leg Horns (males) from a reputable hatchery. There were no Cornish birds in the mix.

almost 7 weeks old and are still small (maybe 2 lbs?)

living in a portable pen that is moved everyday/every other day.

were vaccinated for Marek's before they left the hatchery.

diet consists of bugs and starter feed .

they are in the same pen with their layer "sisters"

Should I remove the dying chick from the pen? The other birds seem to be healthy, but should I be worried this is some disease or just normal elimination of the weak? I'm a little freaked out because I want to do the right thing and I want my birds to be healthy. I would just appreciate some feedback. Thanks so much. I really appreciate having a place to post questions/concerns.

I would take the bird out weather he is sick or not. He could spread disease and if you leave him in there they will eat him and turn into cannibals and the chick will die. I would seperate and give the chick water with electrolytes on it and if he has wounds put neosporin on it.
smile.png

Velma&theChix :

I am working with my first "large" batch of chickens. We currently have approximately 50 meat birds and 20 layers. This morning one of the meat birds was dead and another seems to be dying (he's laying down and is very weak). The other chickens are pecking at him and there were signs the dead chicken had also been pecked on.

Here are the particulars:

mix of Highland 55's or White Leg Horns (males) from a reputable hatchery. There were no Cornish birds in the mix.

almost 7 weeks old and are still small (maybe 2 lbs?)

living in a portable pen that is moved everyday/every other day.

were vaccinated for Marek's before they left the hatchery.

diet consists of bugs and starter feed .

they are in the same pen with their layer "sisters"

Should I remove the dying chick from the pen? The other birds seem to be healthy, but should I be worried this is some disease or just normal elimination of the weak? I'm a little freaked out because I want to do the right thing and I want my birds to be healthy. I would just appreciate some feedback. Thanks so much. I really appreciate having a place to post questions/concerns.

Check their poop. Really runny or any blood in it? Are there any others that are looking "cold" and are fluffed up (unnormally so). If any of this is yes, could be Cocci, beings that they are young. Check on BYC for the symptoms that the birds are showing. If you feel it is this...add Corid to their water. The birds will not really show symptoms until it is almost too late.

I would remove the sick bird and qurantine.

Another possibility....ARe there enough feeders and waters? Could be simple "pecking order" and they cannot get to the food or water bowl as they are bullied.

Good luck. I have been in your shoes....playing detective to see what is happening.​

Thanks for your replies. I went to the pen to take him out and I can't see which one he is now. They all seem to be fine. I'll continue to check to see if anyone is showing similar signs and take them out.

4cats3kids1hubby2many- We have been trying to figure out the watering/feeding system, but I think we've got it now. But it still could be a pecking order problem.

Thanks again for your comments.

Velma&theChix :

Thanks for your replies. I went to the pen to take him out and I can't see which one he is now. They all seem to be fine. I'll continue to check to see if anyone is showing similar signs and take them out.

4cats3kids1hubby2many- We have been trying to figure out the watering/feeding system, but I think we've got it now. But it still could be a pecking order problem.

Thanks again for your comments.

Glad to hear things are looking up. Sounds like it may have been just a simple problem with a simple solution. that is good.​

Back
Top Bottom